Chapter 11

"How does it feel?" Sagefeather questioned, watching Maplepaw place her hind paw on the ground.

"Feels fine." Maplepaw replied, lifting her head and looking at the medicine cat with shimmering eyes. "I can walk around and everything!" The golden-brown she-cat paraded around Sagefeather who let out a purr.

"Very well, Maplepaw." Sagefeather stopped her from running around. "You can get back on regular duties, just be careful." Without waiting for another word, Maplepaw took off towards Elmpaw and Jaggedpaw who were watching a few taillengths away. "Stay out of trees! And don't step on your brother's tail!"

Jaggedpaw looked over his shoulder at his tail, Sagefeather had been right in that it stopped hurting but also that he now had a permanent crook in his tail. He was grateful that in the half-moon since Maplepaw fell out of the tree that she was completely fine.

"Congratulations." Elmpaw chuckled as Maplepaw ran up. "Now we don't have to deal with you being so restless."

Maplepaw playfully batted at Elmpaw's nose, who ducked out of the way. "You try being confined to a nest!"

"I'm confined to camp." Elmpaw snorted playfully, twitching his tail.

"Yeah but you can hunt sometimes and you get to do things. I had to stay in the medicine cat which stinks of herbs and listen to Sagefeather snore."

"She does snore." Jaggedpaw added, recalling the two days he had spent in there. "And Stormsong mumbles in her sleep."

"Yeah she does." Maplepaw chuckled, then glanced around camp, looking for something. "I'm gonna go tell Cedarcloud that I'm free to go hunting, I'll see you two later!" Without hesitation, Maplepaw bounded away towards her mentor.

"She's really testing the limits of her injury." Elmpaw pointed out. "Hope she doesn't hurt herself again."

Jaggedpaw nodded, hoping that Maplepaw's injury was completely healed. "If Sagefeather says that she's okay then I'll believe it. I'm sure she'll be fine."

"At least she doesn't have a crooked paw." Elmpaw chuckled, touching Jaggedpaw's tail with his paw. Jaggedpaw looked at his friend who sneered at him, mischief sparking in his amber eyes. "I'm pretty sure you just confirmed your warrior name."

"No kidding." Jaggedpaw snorted. "Whatever," He sighed, stretching out. "It's not a big deal, it's makes me look cool."

"Ah yes," Elmpaw stood up, walking in front of Jaggedpaw. "The mighty warrior, Jaggedtail, defeated only by branches." Jaggedpaw swiped at Elmpaw who jumped back, laughing. He knew that Elmpaw would forever tease him about his tail, but he also knew that Elmpaw didn't mean any harm by it.

"Don't you have an elder's den to clean?" Jaggedpaw flicked his ears, sneering at his friend.

"Nursery, actually." Elmpaw lashed his tail and lifted his head. "I get to spend time with cute kits while you do boring things like hunt and get crushed by branches."

Jaggedpaw rolled his eyes. "Go do your duties, mousebrain." Elmpaw stuck his tongue out and then trotted to Sagefeather's den to get some moss, then to the nursery. Amberflame had given birth to two healthy kits, Foxkit and Flamekit, they were still tiny with closed eyes but Jaggedpaw had to admit they were pretty cute. Hareclaw was almost frequently at the nursery, so training for Jaggedpaw was slow.

"Hey, Jaggedpaw!" Jaggedpaw turned his head to see Patchfoot approaching him. "Have you seen Rowanfang? He's supposed to be coming on patrol but none of us can find him."

Jaggedpaw blinked, he didn't really keep an eye on Rowanfang but he did realize that he hadn't seen him around all day. "No, I haven't. Sorry, Patchfoot."