Chapter 14

Jaggedpaw walked alongside Hareclaw as they neared the MoonClan border. Their patrol was lead by Featherheart and included Sunstorm, Ashstream, and Breezefall. As they neared the border, a strong scent wafted over Jaggedpaw. It smelled like squirrel blood, he was confused as were his Clanmates. It wasn't until they reached the border that they saw what was causing the scent.

The snow was stained red as a dead squirrel lie just next to the river. "What in the name of StarClan?" He questioned. Featherheart approached it and gave it a sniff. "MoonClan." She growled. "It reeks of them, they caught it on our territory and left it? Are they mousebrained?"

"Are they really wasting prey in leaf-bare? On our land too." Ashstream extended her claws. "What are they trying to say?"

"It's a challenge." Sunstorm spoke up. "They've been pushing our borders but they're not even trying to be secretive about it. They want us to fight them."

"We can't give in to them" Hareclaw stood beside Jaggedpaw's father. "We have to worry about with a medicine cat den full of sick cats who are only getting worse."

"If we don't do something about it then they'll just keep hunting on our lands." Ashstream noted. "We can't let them think they can walk all over us."

"Birdstar clearly said we are not to cause problems with MoonClan no matter what they do." Featherheart's tone was harsh, Ashstream flattened her ears. "We're going back to camp to report this to Birdstar and she will decide on what to do."

The rest of the patrol nodded along, burying the killed squirrel and slowly making their way back to camp. Jaggedpaw dragged his tail through the snow. He hated the fact that MoonClan was stealing and wasting LichenClan prey, and LichenClan couldn't do anything about it. He sighed heavily and walked through the forest.

Behind Jaggedpaw, he heard coughing. The entire patrol stopped and turned to looked at Breezefall who was hunched over, coughing heavily. His body trembled as he coughed, his legs shaking.

"Breezefall," Featherheart stepped closer to him. "How long have you been coughing like this?"

"It-It just started today." Breezefall tried clearing his throat, only to cough more. "I just had a dry throat last night, I thought it was nothing."

"You need to get to Sagefeather." Featherheart urged. Breezefall didn't complain, the patrol quickened their pace back to camp so Breezefall could get to the medicine cat den. Jaggedpaw tensed. How many more cats are going to get sick?

The scene in camp was unsettling, cats were pacing and looking incredibly downtrodden. Jaggedpaw hurried to Maplepaw who was sitting near Cedarcloud. "What's going on?" He questioned.

"Sagefeather took most of the sick cats to outside the camp in the old badger den." Her green eyes were dark. "Rockflower is dying."

"What?" Jaggedpaw's heart twisted into a knot, he looked towards the medicine cat den where Breezefall was headed. Stormsong met him outside and guided him out of camp. Rockflower can't die! Jaggedpaw looked towards the elder's den. I don't want to live in this den alone, after losing Tigercloud last season I don't want to lose you too. Dustfang's words rang in Jaggedpaw's ears, tearing at his heart like claws. Please, StarClan. Don't take Rockflower from us!

The Clan waited around in silent fear for a long time, all eyes went to Sagefeather as she stepped out of the den. Jaggedpaw's heart dropped as he saw her expression, he heard Maplepaw let out a gasp beside him. He knew that expression all too well, it was the same expression she carried when Robinkit died.

"Sagefeather..?" Birdstar approached the medicine cat, clearly forcing herself to sound hopeful. Sagefeather's lack of a response gave the Clan the answer they didn't want to hear. Birdstar lowered her head. "I know you did what you could, Sagefeather." Birdstar nuzzled the medicine cat, clearly they were close friends. How many more will die? Jaggedpaw questioned, could the Clan risk losing more than one cat? Not to mention all that's happening with MoonClan. He closed his eyes, praying to StarClan. Please, protect my Clan.