Chapter 28

It was such a beautiful day in the forest, it was prime greenleaf and the sun was beaming down across the forest. The air was warm and the forest full of energetic and plump prey. It had been a moon since Mosskit had been born and her birth was celebrated by the Clan. Maplepool was recovering well and was back to her usual self, it wouldn't be long until Mosskit was an apprentice and Maplepool was back on her duties.

Meanwhile, when Elmheart wasn't hunting or on patrol he was spending time with Mosskit and Maplepool. It warmed Jaggedtail's heart watching him play with his daughter. Elmheart clearly had so much love for Mosskit in his heart and Jaggedtail was thrilled to see his best friend so happy. Elmheart has struggled so much, he deserves this happiness.

Jaggedtail had continued to find his own happiness in Cherrypool, the beautiful she-cat continued to make his life better and better with each passing day. He felt like he had found his soul mate, his one true love. How did I go on without her? Jaggedtail questioned. He could also see the way that Cherrypool looked at Mosskit, Jaggedtail would go play with her often and most times Cherrypool would come with. I'm pretty sure that Cherrypool wants kits. Jaggedtail thought. I just don't know if I'm ready.

Jaggedtail spent his day on a patrol and going out on two hunting sessions, when he returned from his second patrol he had caught three very plump squirrels and two mice. He dropped his catch on the fresh-kill pile and noticed that Daisyfern was padding towards him. He lifted his head to face the deputy, wondering what she had to say.

"Hello, Jaggedtail." Daisyfern dipped her head kindly. "That's a very impressive catch."

Jaggedtail held his head high at the deputy's praise. "Thank you." He mewed. "Did you need something."

"Yes, actually. I already told Elmheart but you and him are doing the night guard tonight, just thought I would let you know as well." Daisyfern explained.

"Alright." Jaggedtail dipped his head, he hated being on the overnight watch but at least he would be with Elmheart, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad. Jaggedtail decided that he should get a few moments of sleep before his long night.

Jaggedtail stretched out in front of the warrior den, his nap had done him well and he was prepared for the night ahead of him. Elmheart had napped in the nursery with Maplepool and Mosskit and the two friends met up in camp. The sky was dark and most of the Clan had retreated to their dens for the night, the ones that didn't would be there soon.

"You ready for tonight?" Jaggedtail questioned Elmheart.

"Oh yeah." Elmheart chuckled. "It's going to be a long night, just like our vigil."

"At least this time we can talk." Jaggedtail mewed, flicking his tail in amusement.

Soon enough, all of LichenClan was sleeping peacefully and it was just Jaggedtail and Elmheart awake. They sat side by side at the camp entrance watching the forest. "How's Mosskit today?" Jaggedtail asked, he hadn't been able to visit Mosskit today.

"She's starting to play, despite still being pretty wobbly." Elmheart chuckled. "But I can tell she's going to be a quick learner, but maybe I'm biased."

"I haven't had a chance to ask you yet," Jaggedtail mewed. "What's it like being a father?" He questioned. "I know you were worried about it, but you seem to be a natural."

"It's honestly the greatest feeling in the world." Elmheart cast his amber eyes upwards towards the stars of Silverpelt. "I never thought it could feel like this, from the moment I first looked at Mosskit, I knew I loved her. It was like this...overwhelming sense of protection overwhelmed me. I would die for that little kit, she's everything I didn't know I needed."