Chapter 32

"I'm gonna get you!" Redkit declared, charging forward clumsily towards his brother. His jump was weak, but he landed on Brackenkit's back, pulling him to the ground. Redkit held his head high and proud at his successful attack on Brackenkit.

"Get of me fuzzball!" Brackenkit squawked, rolling over and pushing Redkit off, he turned and the two toms wrestled in the dust. Jaggedtail purred loudly watching his two sons play, they were so full of life and energy. Jaggedtail watched happily, he could do this all day. The two of them were just over a moon old, but already ready to play and have fun. All they did all day was play and sleep.

Cherrypool had been working hard to keep up with them, but when she needed a break Jaggedtail would let them play in camp while he watched them. The nursery had gone from one kit to five. Stormsong had given birth to her two kits, Branchkit and Barkkit about half a moon ago, her little sons weren't very active but they were starting to find their paws.

Meanwhile Mosskit was nearly an apprentice, in just a few days she would be made an apprentice. Jaggedtail found it so hard to believe that Mosskit was already six moons old, it seemed like just yesterday she was born. Jaggedtail hoped that it wouldn't go by so fast with his sons, he wanted them to stay this small forever. I could watch them play forever. Jaggedtail thought happily.

Jaggedtail continued to watch his son's play, and even joined in a few times to let his sons climb all over him and chase his crooked tail. When Cherrypool woke back up, she took the kits back into the nursery so that they could get a nap. Jaggedtail left feeling incredibly happy and satisfied, he loved nothing more than spending time with his kits.

"Hey Jaggedtail." A voice spoke from behind him as he walked to find Daisyfern and try and get himself onto a patrol. He turned around and saw that Elmheart was padding up to him. "Can I ask you something?"

"What's up?" Jaggedtail questioned.

"I just spoke to Jumpstar so I could ask him something."
"And?"
"Mosskit's apprentice ceremony is in a few days and there's only one cat I want to be her mentor, and that's you." Elmheart explained.

Jaggedtail blinked. "You want me to mentor Mosskit? Isn't family usually not supposed to mentor family?"

"Usually yes, but I spoke to Jumpstar and he said that it was alright as long as you agreed." Elmheart explained, sounding somewhat eager.

"Well then alright," Jaggedtail dipped his head. "I would love to mentor Mosskit."

"Thank you, Jaggedtail." Elmheart dipped his head. "I know that you will train her right."

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather around the High Stump for a Clan meeting!" Jumpstar's voice rang out from atop the high stump and the Clan began to gather. Maplepool fussed over Mosskit, making sure that her pelt was neat and smooth but Mosskit fought against her mother at every single turn. At long last, Mosskit broke free of Maplepool's grasp and charged towards the Clan meeting.

"Mosskit! Apprentices don't act like this!" Maplepool called and Mosskit skidded to a stop, she rolled her eyes at her mother and walked much calmer towards the meeting. Mosskit took her place in the middle and Jaggedtail sat beside Elmheart who watched his daughter with pride.

"I've called the Clan here today because one of our kits has reached the age of six moons and is ready to become an apprentice." Jumpstar began once the Clan had settled. "Today is a proud day for LichenClan, by naming apprentices we show that we will remain strong for many moons to come. Mosskit, from this day forward until you have earned your warrior name you will be known as Mosspaw. Your mentor is going to be Jaggedtail, I understand that you are kin but I've been told that he will be the perfect mentor for you, and I have more than enough trust in Jaggedtail to train you everything you need to know."