Epilogue

Jaggedstar looked up at the cloudy air, he felt the cold biting at his old bones and his cough rattled in his chest. He climbed down from his den, his joints aching as he moved. His head felt cloudy, his eyes were failing him as were his ears. Could this be the end? Jaggedstar questioned.

He had led for many, many moons and he was proud of the life that he had lived. Spade had been welcomed into the Clan as Seedclaw and soon he and Mossleaf had kits of their own. Even Jaggedstar's own son had kits of his own. I've lived a wonderful life. Jaggedstar thought, a lot had changed. Many lives had been lost and created, he had faced struggles and hardships but LichenClan still stood strong.

He faced Thornstar as Dawnstar defeated him, and helped his Clan recover but the state of the forest was one that LichenClan would survive, but Jaggedstar would not. The forest was dying, and he stayed behind to let his Clan start their new lives with Timbertail as their leader. Timbertail was the son of Branchfur, who betrayed Jaggedstar to stand beside Thornstar which cost him his life.

Jaggedstar thought about all the cats that he had lost, the most painful had been Cherrypool. He had lived a very long life with his beautiful mate, but she had lost her life to greencough moons ago. Jaggedstar missed her every single day, just as he missed Elmstar and Redpaw, but soon he would be back with the loves of his life.

Hazelshine had served as a very loyal deputy until she died to sickness, then he named his niece Mossleaf as deputy. She served for a long time before she ate sickened prey from the dying forest and passed, then he named Timbertail. He had so much faith in Timbertail to lead LichenClan well once they found their new home.

Jaggedstar found himself drifting off in the middle of the camp, he was old and he was sick. My time is near. Jaggedstar thought and wondered if this was how Sagefeather felt in her final days. He knew death as here, and in all honesty; he wasn't scared. He was excited to see his loved ones again, and it would be soon.

Jaggedstar didn't want to die in camp, however. He stood up and began walking through the dead, snow-filled forest. Prey was slow, but since it was just him he didn't have too much to worry about. Jaggedstar found that each step was harder and harder, but he had to make it to where he was going.

Jaggedstar dragged his paws through the snow, but he finally found the place where he wanted to close his eyes for the last time. It was the place that he had buried Elmstar so long ago. Jaggedstar curled up near his best friend's grave, baring through the biting cold and wind. It won't be long now.

Breathing was getting harder and harder, but he was ready to give up completely. He closed his eyes, as if he were going to sleep but he wouldn't be waking up. Jaggedstar felt at peace, he pictured his loved ones in his mind that he couldn't wait to see. I'm coming. Jaggedstar thought.

His body grew cold and Jaggedstar felt himself slowly fading away, the sound of the blowing wind faded away into a dull rumble until it was completely gone and Jaggedstar slipped into pure darkness.

He was surprised to open his eyes and found himself still in the same location, but he didn't feel the same. His bones no longer ached and he no longer felt sick. Jaggedstar stood up but looked down at his paws to see his own body lying at his paws. I'm dead. Jaggedstar realized. It's strange, seeing my own body.

Jaggedstar looked around, he wasn't cold but he didn't know where to go from here. It was then that a familiar scent filled his nose. Stars sparkled before him and Elmstar and Cherrypool stepped into his view. "It's finally time, old friend." Elmstar spoke. Jaggedstar was overwhelmed with love at the sight of the two of them. He quickly ran over to them and nuzzled up to Cherrypool, he hadn't scented her sweet fragrance in so long.

"I've missed you both so much." Jaggedstar whispered.

"I missed you too, my love." Cherrypool purred, taking a step back. "I've been waiting for you."

"Let's get moving," Elmstar playfully shoved Jaggedstar. "Come on slow slug,"
"I just got here." Jaggedstar chuckled, feeling like he did when he was a young warrior.

"Well, the Clans are almost home." Elmstar purred. "And I'm sure that you want to be there to give Timbertail one of his nine lives."

"I would love that." Jaggedstar mewed.

"Then follow us." Cherrypool purred. With his brother on one side and his beloved on the other, Jaggedstar followed the two of them into the forest. He left the old forest behind, leaving his entire life behind him as he walked into the stars.