Chapter 15

Jaggedpaw held his head high, waiting for the ceremony to start. He sat with Elmpaw and Maplepaw who looked equally excited and terrified. We're finally being made warriors. He cast a glance Elmpaw whose eyes were a storm of emotions. He nudged Elmpaw, getting his attention. The wounds on his face were still fresh but were covered in a thick layer of herbs.

Coughing pulled Jaggedpaw's attention away. I wish we didn't have to have our ceremony at this time. He didn't want the Clan to forget about Rockflower's death, but he also was glad they had something else to think about. His feelings about the whole thing were incredibly conflicted.

"Are you ready?" Elmpaw questioned, his amber eyes curious as he looked at Jaggedpaw and Maplepaw.

"I am." Jaggedpaw replied, he certainly was. He had never been more certain of anything in his life. It was just the situation that made him feel uncertain.

"Me too" Maplepaw mewed. "I've been waiting for this for a long time, we all have." She looked at Elmpaw. "Are you ready?"

"I've been working so hard for it." Elmpaw stared at the snowy ground. "I want every cat to look at me for a good warrior than the foolish apprentice I was when I killed Blacksky."

"We already look at you like that." Maplepaw purred, Elmpaw looked at her with a gentle gaze. "And we always will."

"Thank you." Elmpaw purred. "I'm just excited to become a warrior."

"So am I." Jaggedpaw held his head high. They looked towards the leader's den, seeing movement as Birdstar and Jumpheart exited the den.

"It's time." Jaggedpaw said to his friends and they started walking towards the center of camp.

Birdstar made it before them, jumping up on the High Stump with Jumpheart taking his place beside it. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather around the High Stump for a Clan meeting!"

The cats of LichenClan lifted their heads and began walking towards the center of camp, Jaggedpaw took a deep breath and sat down before Birdstar. He could feel Maplepaw tremble beside him with excitement, Elmpaw held his head high as he waited for the ceremony to begin. Fawnsky and Sunstorm caught his eye, he turned his head to see his parents sitting beside Mosswing, all three of them with pride bursting out of them.

Feeling their pride made Jaggedpaw feel immensely better about the whole ceremony. Jaggedpaw turned his gaze back on Birdstar who waited patiently for her Clan to gather. From the medicine cat den, Jaggedpaw could hear coughing. He refrained from sighing sadly, he wished that the Clan wasn't full of sick cats right now.

"I've gathered you all today because our three apprentices showed incredible bravery during the battle against MoonClan. Thanks to Jaggedpaw we were able to react and drive MoonClan back to their own territory." Jaggedpaw could hear the celebratory mews from his Clanmates, he ducked his head slightly, feeling awkward being the center of attention."Maplepaw fought so hard, driving out warriors and apprentices alike without hardly any wounds." Maplepaw also looked bashful, looking around as her Clanmates celebrated her. "And Elmpaw drove Thorntalon, a warrior with much more experience than him, away and saved our herbs from being stolen." Elmpaw didn't look bashful, he instead held his head eye as his amber eyes burned brightly.

"They've waited a long time for this, and it is now time." Birdstar jumped down from the High Stump, facing the three eager apprentices. "I, Birdstar, leader of LichenClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained long and hard to understand the ways of your noble code and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn." Jaggedpaw tensed. It's finally time.

"Jaggedpaw, Maplepaw and Elmpaw. Do you promise to uphold the warrior code and defend the Clan even at the cost of your lives?"

"I do." Jaggedpaw had never spoken words truer. He could feel it in his heart that he was ready.

"I do." Maplepaw's voice was loud and clear, she was also ready.

"I do." Elmpaw was bold and steady, Jaggedpaw never doubted him.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names! Jaggedpaw, from this day forward you will be known as Jaggedtail. LichenClan honors your bravery and focus." Not shocked about his name, but loving it all the same, Jaggedtail stepped forward to Birdstar. She touched her nose to his head and he licked her shoulder before stepping back.

"Maplepaw, from this day forward you will be known as Maplepool. LichenClan honors your skills and intelligence." Jaggedtail felt his heart fill with love and admiration for his sister as she stepped forward, licking Birdstar's shoulder. I'm so proud of you. He thought, she truly was an incredible warrior.

"Elmpaw, from this day forward you will be known as Elmheart. LichenClan honors your loyalty and dedication." Elmheart stood up, eyes glowing and head high. He licked Birdstar's shoulder and stepped back, Jaggedtail watched his friend with pride. "I welcome you all as full warriors of LichenClan!"

"Jaggedtail! Maplepool! Elmheart!" The Clan cheered, out of all the voices Jaggedtail could hear his parents and Mosswing the loudest.

"Birdstar?" A rough voice spoke out from the crowd, the Clan turned to see Barksong standing up, her amber her eyes trembling. "I'd like to ask something."

"Alright, Barksong." Birdstar said, looking at the old she-cat with curiosity. "What is it?"

"I want to move into the elder's den." Jaggedtail was taken aback, Barksong had said not too long ago that she wouldn't ever join the elder's den.

"Are you sure, Barksong?" Cedarcloud stepped forward, eyes filled with concern for her mother.

"I am." Barksong lowered her ears. "With Rockflower's death I realize how I old I really am. Dustfang is alone now in the elder's den and I don't want that. He needs a cat to look after him, and that cat is going to be me."

"Very well, Barksong." Barksong moved to the center of camp, Jaggedtail and the others gave her room. "Barksong, is it your wish to give up the name of a warrior and go to join the elders?"

"It is." Barksong's voice trembled slightly.

"Your Clan honors you and all the service you have given to us. I call upon StarClan to give you many moons of rest."

"Barksong! Barksong!" The Clan cheered their newest elder and the Clan meeting was over. Jaggedtail, Maplepool and Elmheart turned to their parents who swarmed them with love and joy.

"I'm so proud of all of you!" Fawnsky purred, nuzzling each cat in turn.

"You all earned this." Mosswing brushed up against her son. Elmheart purred in return. He turned and looked at Jaggedtail, mischief sparking in his eyes.

"Guess I was right about your warrior name." He teased. Jaggedtail swiped playfully at his friend who ducked out of the way laughing.

"Your name should've been Scarface." Jaggedtail sneered.

"Scars are cooler than a crooked tail."

Jaggedtail went after Elmheart, he ran around and hid behind his mother who just laughed. "Honestly, you two. You're warriors now."

Elmheart stopped and sneered at Fawnsky. "I'll always have a kit inside me."

"We all know that." Mosswing teased, flicking her tail over Elmheart's ear. "Now, you've got a long night ahead of you. Vigils in leaf-bare are never fun."

"My vigil was in the dead of leafbare." Sunstorm shivered. "When it was over I thought my paws were frozen to the ground!" Jaggedtail suddenly began dreading the vigil he would be holding tonight.

"Oh, that's enough." Fawnsky nudged her mate. "Don't listen to him, it won't be that bad."

"We can handle it." Maplepool purred. "We've handled much worse."