Chapter 12

Jaggedpaw shivered in his sleep. He pressed up against Maplepaw who was close by, she let out a semi-awake mew. Unable to fall back asleep, Jaggedpaw lifted his head, blinking away sleep. Outside the apprentice den it was just after dawn and he could see snow slowly falling. He let out a sigh. I guess leaf-bare is really here now.

The apprentice den had become increasingly empty over the past few moons and after Gingerdust and Fieldfoot had been made warriors, Jaggedpaw, Elmpaw and Maplepaw were the only apprentices who remaind. Soon, it would be completely empty until Cherrykit and Applekit were made apprentices.

Jaggedpaw sat up, careful not to wake his sister or Elmpaw and climbed out into the cold morning air. It instantly bit at his nose and ear tips. He suppressed and shivered and took a look around camp. Most cats were still huddled inside, but Jumpheart was out organizing patrols. A group of cats stood around him, including Hareclaw, Breezefall, Daisyfern, Featherheart, Bagderstrike and Krestleflame. Jaggedpaw watched, wondering if he would be joining his mentor at all.

"Featherheart, Badgerstrike, Krestleflame and Daisyfern will be joining me on the patrol to the MoonClan border, we need to make sure they're not crossing the border again. Hareclaw and Breezefall, wake Mosswing, Mothflame, Vinetail and Patchfoot for hunting patrols. Now that we have snow we need to hunt as much prey as possible. Take Jaggedpaw as well, Hareclaw."

At the mention of his name, Jaggedpaw trotted over to his mentor, standing beside him. "Let's go." Jumpheart said and led his patrol out of camp. Hareclaw faced Breezefall.

"Can you go wake the warriors?"

"Sure." Breezefall dipped his head and hurried towards the warriors den, leaving Hareclaw alone with Jaggedpaw.

"Birdstar has something planned for you three apprentices tonight." Hareclaw told Jaggedpaw, confusing him. What did Birdstar have planned?

"What is it?"

"Not sure yet," Hareclaw shrugged. "She told me last night that you, Maplepaw and Elmpaw were going to be doing something tonight. Something in preparation for your warrior ceremony."

Suddenly, Jaggedpaw was on alert. Warrior ceremony? "Is my warrior ceremony soon?" He questioned, trying to contain his excitement. I've worked so hard for all of this, we all have.

"Maybe." Hareclaw nudged Jaggedpaw playfully, looking sly. "If you've earned it, that is."

"I think I have." Jaggedpaw puffed his chest out. Hareclaw chuckled as Breezefall approached them with the rest of the warriors for the hunting patrol, they all looked incredibly tired and cold.

"Alright," Hareclaw spoke up, getting the warriors's attention. "Try and spread out, catch as much prey as you can. We need to stockpile in preparation for leaf-bare, you never know what could happen this season, so we need to be ready."

Jaggedpaw looked at Mosswing, her eyes looked slightly glazed over. last leaf-bare was when Robinkit died. Has it really been that long? He wondered, it felt like it happened so long ago and yesterday at the same time. It can't be easy for Mosswing. Rowanfang still hadn't returned to camp, Birdstar sent out search parties in case had had been injured or killed, but there was no sign of him. Jaggedpaw didn't like Rowanfang, but he really hoped that he was alive somewhere. For Mosswing's sake. He knew that they weren't mates anymore, but Mosswing was a very caring she-cat.

Jaggedpaw followed Hareclaw into the forest and the two instantly began looking for prey, the scent of frost burned his nose but he powered through it. Leaf-bare will only get worse. Jaggedpaw reminded himself. And I have to hunt for the Clan.