Chapter 24

Numbness spread throughout Jaggedtail's paws, he suppressed a shiver as he trekked through the snow covered forest. Leaf-bare had completely taken over the forest in a matter of days, leaving the cats of LichenClan cold and hungry. Prey had retreated to their own warm dens, and hunting had become a struggle. Lack of prey had only been the beginning of the struggles for leaf-bare, however, as a few cats in the Clan had already began complaining about coughs.

The ones that had come forward so far were Featherheart, Patchfoot and Skytail. Though Patchfoot was the only one that had been fully diagnosed with whitecough and confined to Sagefeather's and Stormsong's den. Jaggedtail feared sickness taking hold of his Clanmates, especially those closest to him. Jaggedtail knew that every cat around him feared the same, especially Elmheart. He winced at every cough he heard, and would immediately check to see who it came from, usually looking at Jaggedtail and Maplepool. Luckily, none of them had felt any form of sickness.

Jaggedtail kept his anxious paws busy by hunting for his Clanmates, it was the best possible thing he could do to keep them healthy. He was currently on his second patrol of the day, accompanied by Hareclaw, his new apprentice Owlpaw, Elmheart, Kestrelflame, Hazelshine and Daisyfern.

Owlpaw, as well as Rabbitpaw, Twigpaw and Mousepaw had all been named apprentices a few days ago. Their apprenticeship had left the nursery empty, but the apprentice den was full of eager cats. Jaggedtail held onto his hope as hard as he possibly could, he had to keep his spirits high for the cold season.

"Jaggedtail," Hareclaw's voice pulled Jaggedtail out of his thoughts, he turned to look at his former mentor. "You and Elmheart go hunt near the AshClan border, Owlpaw and I will hunt near the river and Kestrelflame, Daisyfern and Vinetail will hunt closer to the MoonClan border. I don't want any cat to return unless they've caught at least two pieces of prey."

None of the cats on the patrol complained, they simply listened to Hareclaw's orders and set out into the cold forest. Jaggedtail was happy to be hunting alongside his best friend, it felt like it had been so long. "I hate this stupid weather." Elmheart cursed, his paws kicking up snow. "It sucks having to hunt with dark fur in the snow."

"Tell me about it." Jaggedtail snorted, with both of their dark red pelts they stood out like a splash of blood against the white powder. "But there's pure white cats who hunt just as well during every other season."

"I know," Elmheart flicked his ears and shot a playful glance at Jaggedtail. "But I'm still going to complain about it.

Jaggedtail set down his catch confidently, proud at such a plump piece of prey for his Clan. In a moment, Jaggedtail's blood turned as cold as the snow underneath his paws. He heard coughing, and the only cat close to him was Elmheart. Jaggedtail left his prey behind and quickly tracked the sound. He spotted Elmheart, he was sitting down with his head hunched over, coughing heavily.

"Elmheart..." Jaggedtail muttered. "How long have you been coughing?"

Once Elmheart stopped coughing he lifted his head, the coughing had clearly been painful. "It just start--" Elmheart broke into another coughing fit, leaving his body shaking. Fear raced through Jaggedtail's body and he bounded over to his friend, letting Elmheart lean against him.

"It just started, I'm fine Jaggedtail." Elmheart assured, but Jaggedtail could hear how dry and raspy his voice was.

"No you need to go see Sagefeather, this could very easily turn to greencough over night." Jaggedtail nudged Elmheart to his paws.

"Jaggedtail I--" Jaggedtail looked at Elmheart with pleading eyes, Elmheart stopped mid sentence and let out a sigh. "Fine, I'll go see Sagefeather and Stormsong."