Chapter 31

Jaggedtail carried the vole he had just caught across camp towards the nursery where his mate would be resting. With each passing day, Jaggedtail grew more and more excited to meet his kits, and it would be happening any day now. It had been two moons since Cherrypool told him, and her belly was round with kits. Sagefeather predicted that she would be having more than one, which brought Jaggedtail such joy.

He poked his head into the nursery where the three queens were. Maplepool was watching Mosskit play with a feather and Cherrypool was having a conversation with Stormsong. Stormsong has moved into the nursery about a half-moon after stepping down from her position as medicine cat, it had been a shock to the Clan but they had all adjusted and soon the nursery would be filled to the brim with kits.

"Hey beautiful." Jaggedtail purred as he set down the vole, resting his muzzle on Cherrypool's forehead.

"Hi there." She purred. "Thank you for the vole, but I'm not very hungry." She looked at it distratefully. "These kits won't let me eat anything." She laughed and heaved herself up. "Let's step outside, I need some fresh-air." Jaggedtail let Cherrypool lean on him as they stepped out into the camp. "I feel so restless lately." Cherrypool breathed out with a sigh. "I just want these little kits out already." She laughed.

"Me too." Jaggedtail nuzzle Cherrypool's round belly. "Not only do I not like seeing you struggle but I'm so excited to meet our little kits."

"They will come in time," Cherrypool nodded. "For now I just want to enjoy my time with you." Cherrypool fell in against Jaggedtail and their tails intertwined. Jaggedtail got as close as he could to her and two of them enjoyed the cool leaf-fall day.

It was nearly sunset before Cherrypool decided to go back in, Jaggedtail helped her to her paws and began guiding her back to the nursery. Suddenly, Cherrypool let out a sharp hiss of pain and came to a dead stop, her legs shaking. "Oh..." She breathed out.

"What? What's wrong?" Jaggedtail asked, quickly starting to panic.

"N-nothing...just a little bit of pain." Jaggedtail wasn't convinced, but Cherrypool was. She took a few more steps forward before letting out another hiss of pain. She grit her teeth and dug her claws into the soil beneath her paws. "Okay--maybe it isn't nothing."

"Are the kits coming?" Jaggedtail questioned, giving Cherrypool a sniff. "Maplepool!" He called for his sister, she would know. After a moment, Maplepool stepped outside with Mosskit on her tail.

"What's wrong?" She questioned, looking at Cherrypool with concern.

"I keep getting spasms of pain." As Cherrypool spoke she cried out in pain. "Are the kits coming?"

"More than likely." Maplepool nodded. "I'm going to get Cherrypool back into her nest," She looked up at Jaggedtail. "Go get Sagefeather." Jaggedtail didn't hesitate, he turned on his paws and sprinted towards the medicine cat den. Sagefeather was inside making balls of moss.

"Sagefeather!" Jaggedtail called, skidding to a stop inside of her den.

"My goodness, Jaggedtail where's the fire?" Sagefeather looked up with a flick of her tail.

"Cherrypool is about to give birth." Jaggedtail explained rapidly.

Sagefeather nodded. "Alright then," The old medicine cat stood up and moved over to her herb store, selecting a few herbs and a stick. "Take this stick to Cherrypool, it will give her something to bite down on to help with the pain." Sagefeather looked Jaggedtail in the eyes. "I hope you're ready to be a father."

"I am." Jaggedtail declared, picking up the stick that Sagefeather had given him. The two cats rushed to the medicine cat den where Stormsong had started to soothe Cherrypool while Maplepool kept Mosskit occupied.