Chapter 38

Once again, leaf-bare had claimed the forest in its icy claws. The seasons seemed to move so quickly as Jaggedtail's life continued on. At this point he simply expected sickness to claim a few lives, but he didn't know who it would claim. He could simply only prey that he wouldn't lose anyone close to him, but he really hoped he wouldn't take a single cat. That was wishful thinking however, and Jaggedtail knew what to expect. He had done this before, many times now.

In fact, two cats were already sick. Amberflame and Gingerdust had been confined to the medicine cat den, and many more would be joining them soon Jaggedtail just knew that would be their future. Jumpstar had actually been the first cat to get sick, but he managed to kick the sickness despite all odds and was back on his paws without even losing a life, thought the entire Clan knew that he was nearing the end of them. Jaggedtail set out into the forest, attempting to hunt and catch some prey for the slowly dwindling fresh-kill pile. He was currently on a hunting party with Rabbitwing, Branchfur, Breezefall and Flamewhisker.

It had been two moons since the death of Daisyfern and Elmheart was named deputy in her place. Jaggedtail had to admit that Elmheart was a natural at it, but he also noticed that Elmheart's nightmares seemed to have gotten worse. When Jaggedtail attempted to talk to him about it, Elmheart quickly changed the subject. Jaggedtail was starting to worry about his friend, he even talked to Maplepool about it.

Maplepool had said that she noticed as well, but he wouldn't talk to her either. Jaggedtail just hoped that it really was nothing, but Elmheart got incredibly defensive when confronted about it. He won't let anyone help him. Jaggedtail thought painfully. I hope he'll be able to handle it, or let us in soon.

Jaggedtail's hunt took him around the back of the camp, near the twolegpalce and the abandoned badger den. As he was tracking prey, another scent picked up. It was a LichenClan cat, but the scent was heavily lined with fear. Jaggedtail lifted his head and spotted Sagefeather staring up towards the sky. Her eyes were so focused on something that Jaggedtail couldn't see.

The slow wind rustled her long gray pelt, Jaggedtail sensed that something was off about the old medicine cat. Jaggedtail stepped forward, approaching her slowly. "Sagefeather? Are you okay?"

Sagefeather slowly nodded. "Yes, Jaggedtail. I am okay." Her voice was low, it made Jaggedtail feel incredibly nervous.

"Are you sure? You're just sitting out here."

"I've spoken to StarClan, Jaggedtail." Sagefeather finally looked down. "Come here and let me tell you what they've said to me."

Jaggedtail felt confused and somewhat uncomfortable. "Why me? Why not Jumpstar? He's the leader, not me."

"Because I believe that you will benefit from these words the most." There was a sense of hopelessness deep in Sagefeather's pale green eyes. Jaggedtail could see that she needed someone, so Jaggedtail listened and sat down beside the medicine cat. "Thank you." She said quietly and turned her eyes back up towards the sky. "This will be the hardest leaf-bare any of us have ever seen." Sagefeather breathed out.

Jaggedtail tensed. "How so? Sickness?"

"Sickness, death, and something that I can't see." Sagefeather closed her eyes. "You will have to make a choice, Jaggedtail. This will be the hardest choice you've ever had to make, and it will completely change the fate of LichenClan." Jaggedtail stared intently at Sagefeather, trying to understand her words.

"What do you mean? What kind of choice?"

"I don't know, but you will when the time comes." Sagefeather replied.

"Is this what StarClan told you? They told you about this...choice?"

Sagefeather nodded. "You've struggled a lot, Jaggedtail. You've lost family, friends and this loss has shaped you into the cat you are today. I hope that in the end, you will make the choice you think is right." Jaggedtail didn't know what to say, he was completely shocked that StarClan was talking about him of all cats. What choice will I have to make? Why is it so important? What if I make the wrong one?