Chapter 9

This gathering didn't feel right without Elmpaw. Jaggedpaw walked beside Maplepaw as they neared the hollow, the entirety of LichenClan was dreading this gathering. Owlstar would announce the death of their warrior caused by a LichenClan apprentice. It had been about a half-moon since Elmpaw killed Blacksky and his punishment showed no signs of being lifted.

The moment LichenClan stepped into the hollow, Jaggedpaw could feel the hate-filled glares of MoonClan. Jaggedpaw looked around for Crowpaw, Elmpaw had told him that Blacksky was Crowpaw's father and that he had died in front of him. I'm a monster, Jaggedpaw! I killed Crowpaw's father in front of him! He'll hate me forever. Elmpaw's panicked words rang in his ears.

It'll be okay, Elmpaw. Jaggedpaw said in his head, wishing it to be true. LichenClan kept their distance from MoonClan, trying to ignore their glares. SunClan and AshClan cats muttered to themselves, wondering what going on between the other two Clans.

Birdstar climbed her tree and looked over the Clans. As Jaggedpaw expected, Owlstar spoke first. "I'd like to start this gathering off." His voice was on edge and quite upset.

"Very well, Owlstar." Goldenstar mewed, sharing a confused glanced with Foxstar.

"MoonClan suffered an avoidable tragedy this moon. Our warrior Blacksky was killed after LichenClan warriors attacked us. They crossed the border, denied it and then attacked us, killing one of our warriors." The Clans let out gasps of shock.

"I would like to explain the actions of my warriors." Birdstar stood up, Owlstar glared intensely at the LichenClan leader. "It is true that one of our cats killed Blacksky and for that I am deeply sorry. His death never should've happened and I assure you that the cat guilty has been punished as well as the warriors who led the attack against your Clan."

"Blacksky was an honored warrior." Owlstar snarled. "You should be grateful that MoonClan hasn't retaliated!"

"No more blood needs to be shed, not from your Clan or my Clan. Let your warrior rest in peace, Owlstar." Birdstar was keeping her gaze steady. Jaggedpaw could tell all of MoonClan were getting agitated.

"Don't tell me how to lead!" Owlstar spat, unsheathed his claws and digging them into the branch he was standing on.

"I won't break this truce." Birdstar stared down the MoonClan leader. "And neither should you. I suggest you carry on with the rest of your news and we can go our separate ways."

Both Goldenstar and Foxstar looked incredibly uncomfortable, but Owlstar let out a deep breath and sheathed his claws. "Before the death of Blacksky, we announced two new apprentices. Please welcome Frostpaw and Icepaw." MoonClan cheered, and there were muffled cheers from the other Clans but the argument between Owlstar and Birdstar had clearly made the other Clans uncomfortable.

The gathering continued, but when it ended neither LichenClan nor MoonClan remained, Birdstar and Owlstar led their respective Clans home. Jaggedpaw hung back with Maplepaw, seeing no sign of Crowpaw. He just sighed and went back home, wishing this whole thing would blow over. Not only for Elmpaw's sake, but for the sake of all of MoonClan.

Life in LichenClan camp was slowly getting better, most cats had moved on from the death of Blacksky. Jaggedpaw had been right in assuming that Amberflame would be expecting Hareclaw's kits as she had move into the nursery with Hazelshine just a few days ago. Jaggedpaw was glad that new kits would be born soon, he hoped it would bring joy to the Clan and lighten their spirits.

It was the day after the gathering and Elmpaw was mostly just moping around camp, doing duties such as treating the elder's ticks or giving moss to the nursery. He would go hunting and rarely do battle training but was still banned from border patrols. He wished he could help Elmpaw, but Jaggedpaw knew there was nothing he could do for the time being.

Jaggedpaw sat outside the apprentice den, Maplepaw was out hunting but Jaggedpaw had nothing to do for the time being. Hareclaw was really busy making sure Amberflame was comfortable, he was worried that Amberflame would have a difficult kitting like Hazelshine did. Jaggedpaw hoped that wasn't the case and Sagefeather assured the Clan that Amberflame would be just fine.

Jaggedpaw's ears twitched as he heard hushed mews coming from two different cats. He looked around, eventually spotting Rowanfang and Mosswing next to each other, Mosswing's ears were flattened and Rowanfang had his teeth bared. Jaggedpaw edged closer, trying to hear what the two were saying.

"I don't see why you're acting this way." Mosswing snarled. "Maybe if you had been around he wouldn't have done something like this."

"Blacksky's death has nothing to do with me, I told you I wanted nothing to do with these kits, Mosswing." Rowanfang spat her name. "I knew from the day these kits were born that bad things would happen. Now our daughter is dead and our son is a murderer."

"Elmpaw is not a murderer!" Mosswing's voice raised above a whisper to a shout, Jaggedpaw tensed as the Clan turned to look. Elmpaw, who was leaving the elder's den's ears perked, his amber gaze trembling.

"He killed an innocent cat." Rowanfang lashed his tail. "Sounds like a murderer to me." Rowanfang stepped past Mosswing and turned on Elmpaw who tucked his tail between his legs. Jaggedpaw stood up in alarm. "Because of your actions, Elmpaw, everyone other Clan will think negatively of not only the whole Clan but myself as well. They will think my blood produces murderers!"

"This is not about you!" Rowanfang whirled around to face Mosswing whose fur was on edge, her claws digging into the earth under her paws. "Stop yelling at him! Step down, Rowanfang!"

"He deserves it!" Rowanfang's eyes burned with anger.

"Leave my son alone!" Mosswing and Rowanfang were in each other's faces now, barely a whisker apart.

"He's my son--"

"No he's not!" The entire Clan was looking now, in concern and fear. Elmpaw sat behind his parents looking horrified. Jaggedpaw wanted to run out and comfort his friend. He doesn't deserve this. "I told you when Robinkit died that you didn't have any kits! You didn't want any so you don't have any!" Rowanfang stepped back, flattening his ears and snarling. "You blamed me for Robinkit's death and told me that you never wanted kits, so I told you that they weren't your kits anymore."

Mosswing looked around, taking note that each of her Clanmates were watching this fight. "I love Elmpaw, he is my son and I love him more than anything in this entire forest! He made a mistake but I don't love him any less, you don't deserve a son like him!"

Suddenly, Elmpaw dashed past his father and to his mother's side, pressing against her. Mosswing pulled her son closed and whispered something that Jaggedpaw couldn't hear. Movement caught Jaggedpaw's eyes as Fawnsky had stood up and was now going to Mosswing's side as well. Jaggedpaw looked at Maplepaw who met his gaze, from the look in her eyes he could tell they had the same thought. Both siblings stood beside Elmpaw and his mother.

"I think you should leave them alone." A voice behind Jaggedpaw nearly made him jump, but he turned to see Sunstorm standing close by. Rowanfang hissed and turned away, lashing his tail as he vanished into the warrior's den, cursing under his breath.

"I'm sorry about that." Mosswing spoke up to the rest of the Clan. "The rest of you shouldn't of had to deal with it."

"Don't worry about it," Fawnsky nuzzled her friend. "You don't need Rowanfang, I just wished I would've known about what was going on between you two. But we're all here for both of you."

Jaggedpaw nudged Elmpaw, getting his attention. "I'm sorry about your father." Jaggedpaw mewed.

Elmpaw let out a saddened sigh, shrugging his shoulders. "It's fine, Jaggedpaw. I've known for a long time that he doesn't like me and it's fine. I guess it didn't make it any better after I killed Blacksky." Elmpaw looked up towards the sky. "I wish I didn't, maybe this is my punishment for it, but." Elmpaw looked at Jaggedpaw, his amber eyes full of certainty, something Jaggedpaw hadn't seen for a long time. "But from now on, I'm to be a better warrior, a warrior that LichenClan can be proud of."