Chapter 23

"This is the most important moment of your apprenticeship," Jaggedtail spoke boldly, looking at Foxpaw and Flamepaw with Maplepool at his side. "Because if you pass, it will be the final day of your apprenticeship."

"You two will be hunting alone, as Timberpaw and Willowpaw are far too young to be hunting with cats who are nearly warriors." Maplepool explained. "So this is will be completely dependant on your hunting skills alone."

"The weather is getting colder, but you've prepared for this and it's only leaf-fall. You should be able to catch plenty of prey." Jaggedtail added.

"Are you ready?" Maplepool questioned. Both apprentices had eagerness and excitement brewing in their eyes, they were both ready, Jaggedtail could tell.

"Of course!" Flamepaw boasted, holding her head high.

"Absolutely." Foxpaw dug his claws into the soil, her eyes burning with determination.

"Then head out." Maplepool commanded. "Jaggedtail and I will be following you two and watching but you won't be able to see us. We will give you some time to spread out." With a quick nod to each other, Flamepaw and Foxpaw vanished into the dense flora of LichenClan territory.

"I can't believe they're going to be warriors." Maplepool sighed, looking out into the forest with joy.

"I know," Jaggedtail chuckled. "It feels like just yesterday we were becoming warriors, and now we've trained some."

"Being with Flamepaw has been such a joy, she's such a wonderful she-cat."

"Foxpaw too." Jaggedtail nodded in agreement. Jaggedtail had been allowed back on warrior duties two moons ago, and spent the past moon working incredibly hard to catch up on all his training with Foxpaw. Together, he and Maplepool had decided that both he and Flamepaw were ready for their assessments.

"Well," Maplepool stretched out. "We should go find them. Meet back here with them at sunhigh?" Jaggedtail looked at the sky, it was still a chilly early morning, so sunhigh would give them plenty of time to hunt.

"Sounds good." Jaggedtail and Maplepool began tracking the scents of their apprentices. Jaggedtail and Maplepool ended breaking off from each other not too far into the forest as Flamepaw and Foxpaw had gone different directions.

Jaggedtail tracked Foxpaw, finding the scent of fresh squirrel blood as well. He's already caught something. Jaggedtail thought proudly. After walking for a few more tail lengths Jaggedtail finally spotted Foxpaw.

His ginger apprentice was tracking something that Jaggedtail couldn't see. His form was nearly perfect and his amber eyes were focused intently on his prey. After a few moments of stalking, Foxpaw dashed forward to catch his prey. Jaggedtail saw that it was another squirrel, Foxpaw buried his catch and continued without hesitation.

Jaggedtail followed his apprentice silently as he continued with his assessment. As time went on Foxpaw caught two more squirrels and three mice. Jaggedtail felt pride overflowing from his chest. I've trained him well, I'm so proud of him.

After the catch if his final mouse, it was nearly sunhigh and Jaggedtail decided it was time. He stepped out of the bushes, getting Foxpaw's attention who seemed slightly alarmed at his sudden appearance, but he relaxed quickly.

"Hi, Jaggedtail." He greeted with a dip of his head, looking slightly nervous. "Is it time to go back?"

Jaggedtail nodded, trying not to reveal how proud he was as he and Maplepool agreed to share their thoughts after the assessment. "I'll help you gathering your prey."