Chapter 36

Jaggedtail stretched out his legs, the sun was beaming down onto his pelt and the air was beautiful and fresh. It was nearly greenleaf, but the season of newleaf had been so good to LichenClan. Prey was bountiful and LichenClan was thriving once again. It had been a moon since Brackenpaw and Redpaw's apprentice ceremony and about a half-moon after that, Branchpaw and Barkpaw had been named apprentices as well. Barkpaw was made Sagefeather's apprentice and Branchpaw had been given Elmheart as a mentor.

Jaggedtail had been incredibly thrilled for his friend for finally get himself an apprentice and he knew that Elmheart was excited about it as well. Even though Mosspaw was incredibly ahead of Branchpaw, they still did there best to train their apprentices together. It wouldn't be long before Mosspaw was a warrior, and Jaggedtail was very excited for that day.

"Jaggedtail!" Daisyfern's call got Jaggedtail's attention. He looked at Cherrypool and took one final bite of prey. "Guess I'm being called." He mewed, giving Cherrypool a quick nuzzle on the cheek before he trotted quickly over to Daisyfern.

"What do you need?" He questioned.

"Find your apprentice, you're going on the final patrol of the day." Daisyfern instructed. "Get her and then meet with your patrol mates here, Elmheart will be leading it." Jaggedtail nodded and began sniffing around for Mosspaw. He found her having a conversation with Brackenpaw.

"There you are." He mewed. "You're wanted on patrol, we'll be going with Elmheart too."

"Okay." Mosspaw purred and stood up. She had been working very hard as an apprentice, her skills were sharpened and Jaggedtail knew that her assessment should be soon. She's more than earned it, I just want the right time to come. It didn't take long for the rest of the patrol to show up, it was Elmheart with Branchpaw, Owlheart with Redpaw, Amberflame, Gingerdust and Fieldfoot. Jaggedtail was excited to be going on patrol with his son, he always enjoyed seeing the kind of progress his kits were making.

"Where are we going?" Jaggedtail questioned Elmheart who would be taking the lead.

"AshClan border." He replied with a flick of his tail. In the past few days, Jaggedtail sense that something was off about Elmheart but he couldn't quite place what it was or why. He really needed to take a moment to talk to him about it. We've both been so busy with kits and apprentices. Jaggedtail thought sadly. Maybe we can go out hunting together later. He would do his best to remember to ask Elmheart to go hunting with him.

With Elmheart in the lead, Jaggedtail and the rest of the patrol set out into the forest. It was just before sunset and the air still fresh and cool. Jaggedtail walked beside Elmheart while Redpaw, Mosspaw and Branchpaw all shared a conversation behind them. Gingerdust and Fieldfood had a conversation as well while Amberflame talked with Owlheart.

"How's Branchpaw been treating you?" Jaggedtail questioned.

"He's a very dedicated apprentice." Elmheart replied keeping his eyes forward. "He's going to make an incredible warrior in time, I can't wait to see how he is going to grow. How is Mosspaw? Do you think she'll be a warrior soon?"

"I think so." Jaggedtail nodded slowly. "In the next moon or so I think I will hold her final assessment."

"I'd love to partake if you'd let me," Elmheart mewed. "I could test Branchpaw as well."

"I would love that." Jaggedtail purred eager at the thought of spending time with Elmheart.

They neared the AshClan border and Jaggedtail's ears perked at the sound of voices, they sounded incredibly close. We're not that close to the border yet. Jaggedtail thought, his fur standing on edge.