Chapter 45

Jaggedtail walked beside Barkclaw through the snowy forest, the moon was starting to rise and it would be his final night as Jaggedtail. The walk was silent, he had left his Clan behind to get his nine lives and Jaggedtail wasn't sure if he was ready, but he knew it's what he had to do.

Jaggedtail had only been to the moonstone once, and it was many moons ago when he was an apprentice. Now he was going to be a leader, and nothing would be the same again. They crossed the river and Jaggedtail found himself back in the Spirit Woods. Their white bark seemed to glow under the moonlight, he could've sworn he heard whispers in the trees. Jaggedtail followed Barkclaw to the Spirit Tree which stood tall in the ghostly forest.

"When you go in there, you'll touch your nose to the Moonstone and you will fall asleep. Then StarClan will give your nine lives, you are not allowed to tell anyone what you see tonight. Don't be scared." Barkclaw explained when Jaggedtail tensed.

Jaggedtail nodded slowly and together the two of them ventured deep into the cavern. Jaggedtail felt anxiety creep in his chest, he had never seen such pure darkness. He had no idea that such a winding tunnel was beneath the Spirit Tree. The walk seemed to take forever, but in an instant the tunnel was flooded with light and Jaggedtail stepped into a large cavern. In the center was a huge stone, it shimmered with starlight and turned both his and Barkclaw's pelts silver. The moonstone. Jaggedtail couldn't speak, the stone was so brilliant that it had completely taken his breath away.

"Go ahead, Jaggedtail." Barkclaw nudged, his voice echoing in the cavern.

Jaggedtail forced his paws to move forward, he laid down in front of the stone. He could almost see stars sparkling within the stone. He tucked his paws under his chest and leaned in, touching his nose to the stone's surface. In an instant, Jaggedtail slipped into the darkness.

He couldn't move, his body was cold and no part of his body would move. What's happening to me? Jaggedtail wondered. After a few moments, warmth filled his body and Jaggedtail could finally open his eyes. He sat up, but he was no longer in the Spirit Tree, he was in the gathering hollow. "Hello?" He called out, wondering why he was completely alone.

Movement caught his eye and he saw that the stars were moving. What in the world? Jaggedtail wondered. The stars came down from the dark sky and swirled before him, forming into the shapes of cats. Nine cats appeared before him, and his heart ached as he realized they were all faces he had seen before.

He saw Fawnsky, Mosswing, Sunstorm and so many more. At the sights of Redpaw his heart ached, he looked just as he remembered him! My beautiful son. Then Jaggedtail's eyes travelled to a cat he had just seen, Elmstar was sitting beside Mosswing. He was tall and bold, stars shimmering in his pelt. He made it to StarClan.

"Welcome, Jaggedtail." It seemed as if all the voices of StarClan were speaking to him, it sent a chill down his spine. "Your leadership ceremony will now begin."

Jaggedtail waited patiently as the first cat stepped forward, it was Robinkit. Jaggedtail hadn't seen Robinkit in so many moons, but here she was, full of stars and light. Robinkit stopped before Jaggedtail and looked up at him. "With this life I give you curiosity, never forget the curiosity of a kit and let it help you learn so many new things."

Robinkit lifted her nose, and Jaggedtail realized he had to touch his nose to hers. As their noses touched, a strange feeling swarmed his body. It was the eagerness to learn, to find and explore. "Not all lives will feel the same." Robinkit purred before running back to Mosswing's side.

The next cat to step forward was Mosswing, she left her little kit with Fawnsky to face Jaggedtail. "I'm so glad to see you here, I am proud of you, as if you were my own kit. With this life I give you a mother's love, you know what it's like to love a kit as a father, but with this life you will love your Clan with the same love as a mother." Mosswing touched her nose to Jaggedtail and he was not expecting the pain that ripped through his entire body. The pain of love, loss and care.