Chapter 17

For the first time in moons, Jaggedtail could hear birds in the trees. The air had a chill to it, but it wasn't cold enough to keep the snow around. The snow had melted, leaving room for the forest to regrow stronger than before. Prey was beginning to return and the medicine cat den was empty except for Sagefeather and Stormsong. Newleaf had finally arrived and the cats of LichenClan rejoiced.

Jaggedtail was glad to finally hunt without the struggle of trying to hide his ginger pelt against the stark white snow, he could finally return to creeping through LichenClan's thick territory. It would be a moon or so before the forest was back at its original glory, filled completely with thick brush and dense forestry, Jaggedtail couldn't wait for it. For now, however, he would enjoy the fact that leaf-bare was over.

All the cats had recovered from their sickness and were back on warrior duties as if nothing had ever happened. In the moon since they were apprenticed, Applepaw and Cherrypaw were working incredibly hard for their Clan. Cherrypaw's mentor, Daisyfern, however, had moved to the nursery expecting Breezefall's kits. Her mentor for probably the remainder of her apprenticeship was now Mothflame.

Jaggedtail was incredibly excited for new kits to join the Clan. They always brought hope and strength to the Clan. Most of LichenClan was excited for Daisyfern's kits, Breezefall had been boasting about them since Daisyfern announced that she was expecting. At the time, Jaggedtail had found himself wondering what it was like to be a father. Breezefall seemed to be incredibly excited as did Daisyfern. I've only been a warrior for two moons. Jaggedtail reminded himself. I don't need to worry about mates just yet. He just wanted to focus on living a happy life now that the warm seasons had returned.

Jaggedtail had a strong feeling that Daisyfern wouldn't be the only new member of the nursery. He had noticed that some cats had started growing incredibly close to one another, he especially noticed Vinetail and Fieldfoot and Poppywing and Sparrowheart. It was only a matter of time before those queens moved into the nursery alongside Daisyfern. In just a few short moons, Amberflame's kits would be ready to be apprenticed as well.

Jaggedtail couldn't help but want to mentor one of her kits. They're both so full of energy. Jaggedtail thought. Plus they're Hareclaw's kits, I would love to mentor them just as good as he mentored me. "Hey, Jaggedtail!" Jaggedtail's ears twitched as he heard a voice call his name. He looked towards the warriors' den where he saw Elmheart and Maplepool padding up to him.

"What's up?" Jaggedtail turned to face them as they reached where he had been standing.

"We're going hunting, want to join us?" Maplepool questioned cheerfully.

"Of course." Jaggedtail purred, looking over his sister and his friend. "Where are we going?"

"Probably towards the MoonClan border, Jumpheart sent the earlier patrol to the other side of the territory so we will probably have more luck there." Elmheart explained. Jaggedtail agreed and the three warriors set out into the forest.

Things had been relatively peaceful with MoonClan lately, they hadn't challenged the borders or stolen any prey. Jaggedtail hoped that with Cloudstar as their new leader she would end this fight between the two Clans. It's been so long since Blacksky was killed. Jaggedtail looked at Elmheart, remembering the day when Elmheart had killed the MoonClan warrior. He had looked so horrified and scared, but he owned up to it. He endured his punishment and in the end he came out an amazing warrior. Elmheart isn't the apprentice he used to be, he's a powerful, loyal and strong warrior. Jaggedtail felt a rush of pride for his best friend, he knew that Elmheart was so much better now, he just wished MoonClan would see him the same way.

The three warriors trekked through the forest, as the day continued the air grew warmer and Jaggedtail breathed in the fresh air of newleaf. They reached their desired hunting spot and split up to find their own pieces of prey. Jaggedtail lowered his body to the forest floor, creeping through the undergrowth and scenting for prey. He quickly caught the scent of squirrel and began hunting it down.