Chapter 30

"Great catch!" Jaggedtail praised Elmheart as he caught a sparrow just as it began to take off from the ground.

Elmheart set the bird down and faced Jaggedtail with a confident expression. "Thanks." He beamed. "It's been a while since I've had a bird to eat, but I think Mosskit would enjoy it." Elmheart's eyes sparkled at the mention of his daughter.

"Well we should get back to camp then," Jaggedtail mewed. "I'm sure both her and Maplepool are pretty hungry. Elmheart agreed and the two of them rounded up their catch. Jaggedtail had caught two squirrels, two mice and a vole and along with his sparrow, Elmheart had caught three squirrels and two shrews. They prey was certainly plentiful, it had practically been jumping into their paws.

They returned to camp and dropped their catch on the fresh-kill pile which was nearly overflowing with prey. Jaggedtail followed Elmheart to the nursery to talk to his niece and sister. They spotted Mosskit playing with Maplepool at the nursery entrance. Mosskit jumped all over her mother, biting at her ears and swiping at her tail. Maplepool looked completely exhausted, but there was still love burning deep within her green eyes.

"How are my two favorite she-cats?" Elmheart mewed as he approached, setting his sparrow down.

"Elmheart!" Mosskit squeaked and leapt off of her mother, running towards Elmheart. She circled around his paws, rubbing up against his legs, Elmheart purred loudly. She then noticed the sparrow. "Is this for me?" She prodded the bird with her tiny paw.

"For you and your mother yes." Elmheart purred. "You've never had a bird before, and sparrow is one of my favorites."
"Yummy! I can't wait!" Mosskit then looked up at Jaggedtail. "Did you catch anything cool like a bird?"

"No, unfortunately I'm not as cool as your father." Jaggedtail shot a playful glance at Elmheart who just rolled his eyes but laughed as well.

"Well duh," Mosskit spoke confidently. "No one is as cool as my father! He's the greatest warrior in all the forest!" Mosskit held her head high as she spoke about her father, Jaggedtail couldn't help but purr at Mosskit. Mosskit really idolizes Elmheart. Jaggedtail thought, and once again found himself longing for a kit to look at him that way. Elmheart is Mosskit's whole word, he's her hero. I want that.

"I'll leave you guys be." Jaggedtail dipped his head. "I'm going to go find, Cherrypool."

"I think I saw her leaving the medicine cat den." Maplepool mewed, stretching out her forelegs.

"What?" Jaggedtail felt anxiety creep into his heart. "Why was she in there? Is something wrong?"
"That's a question for Cherrypool, not me." Maplepool yawned. "Go find her, mouse-brain."
Jaggedtail swiftly turned away from Maplepool and began searching for his mate, it had been two moons since Hazelshine's affair had been announced and Jaggedtail told Cherrypool that he loved her and ever since they had been as close as ever. Jaggedtail scanned the camp for her ginger tabby pelt, finally spotting her picking through the fresh-kill pile. Jaggedtail quickly crossed the Clan to go talk to her.

"There you are." Jaggedtail mewed frantically. "Are you alright? Maplepool told me she saw you in the medicine cat den."
Cherrypool purred. "Yes, Jaggedtail I'm fine." She nuzzled his cheek. "But I have something to tell you."

"What is it?" Jaggedtail thought, forcing himself to calm down after the scare. He didn't know what he would do without Cherrypool and the thought of it terrified him.

"Come sit with me." Cherrypool purred and picked up a mouse, walking towards the clearing near the warriors' den, she waved her tail. Jaggedtail felt dizzy watching her, he always did. She made his heart turn flips in his chest. Jaggedtail followed Cherrypool and sat down beside her.