The Alternative.

Warning here: if you don't like suicidal themes, feel free to skip this chapter.

The catacombs beneath Hyrule Castle we're vast and secluded, the best place to find solitude. They were dimly lit and damp. Untill her wedding day, Zelda had loathed them. Now she loved them.

Zelda thought the catacombs were scary. She was always scared of getting lost in its twisting corridors but now she welcomed them. They offered her a safe place to cry when she tried to get away from her husband.

It had been a just over a month since her wedding day and no matter how many times she ran away, Ganondorf would find her. He had cottoned on to her habit of running away and crying and he eventually managed to find her. Now she would have to run deeper into the catacombs to find a place to hide but he would find her and force her into submission.

Zelda and Impa had their plan ready. Should trouble arrise, she was to meet her companion by the fountain on the west side of the gardens. She had not met the man she would be traveling with yet but Impa had told her that he was loyal to the Royal Family.

Zelda didn't have to wait long for that plan to come into action... And it wasn't Ganondorf who ended up starting their plan...

She clutched her clothes closer in a desperate attempt to cover herself even though the clothes had been ripped to shreds by her husband. Her eyes were bloodshot as she sobbed futility for mercy. He just snarled impatiently before forcing her to let go as he grabbed both her wrists. Her dress fell to the floor, exposing her figure. Zelda wimpered and struggled against his grin but he snarled at her and tightened his grip, almost crushing the bone in her arm. Ganondorf all but threw her at the bed. She desperately tried to crawl away but he grabbed her legs, forcing her back. Zelda cried out but Ganondorf smacked one of his hands to her mouth and the other he used to force her legs open.

Zelda woke with a start. Her breath was laboured and her entire body dripping with sweat. The memories were still fresh as she hugged her legs. She hadn't noticed when she had fallen asleep but she wished she hadn't.

She couldn't take this anymore. She couldn't do this every night! She couldn't keep bending to Ganondorf's will! She couldn't take the constant onslaught from her husband when he found her at night and she couldn't take the crushing nightmares that came after it.

Her entire body protested as she forced herself to stand. When her balance was back, she walked through the ever twisting catacombs and towards the entrance. Each time she ran away, it would take her longer to get back as she had run further and further each trip.

***

"Princess?" The main cook cocked an eyebrow at the Royal as she stumbled into the kitchens.

"Can we help you?" The other cooks furrowed their eyebrows, why would the Princess be up at this hour?

Zelda didn't respond. She simply hobbled in and scanned the room. Her eyes seemed to light up as she saw the knife rack. She moved forward and took one out of its place and held it in her hand.

She didn't know what she was doing as she stared in the polished metal of the knife. She could see her reflection in the metal and she looked horrible. Her eyes were puffy and sore. Her cheeks were raw from the amount of tears she had shed and her hair was frizzy. Her dress was crumpled and grubby from the time she had spent in the catacombs.

Without a word, she moved her hands. The kitchen staff gasped as she gripped the hilt with both her hands and raised the knife to her chest, hovering over her heart.

"No! Princess!" The head chef begged as the other cooks circled around her, all trying to coach the knife from her hands.

Zelda opened her eyes, coming out of her trance-like state. She blinked and lowered the knife but didn't let her grip loosen. She straighted her back and composed herself. She put the knife to her side and walked towards the pantry.

"I need a drink" she muttered.

The kitchen staff had no words. The Princess had just walked in and was about to commit suicide! They whispered to each other as Zelda grabbed a bottle of concentrated spirits.

Zelda had never been a heavy drinker, in fact, she had barely drunk any alcohol at all in her life. Heck, she had once felt woozy after half a glass of watered down wine. She didn't like the taste of alcohol, in her opinion it tasted like foul medicine.

Zelda no longer cared. She took the bottle and took a large swig. Her face cringed up but she forced it down. The kitchen staff looked at her with concern.

She was about to walk away with the bottle when the head chef spoke up, "Princess, don't have too much! It can sometimes effect memory!"

"Perfect..." She mumbled.

The head chef was put off when she walked back to pantry and picked up another bottle and stuffed it under her arm. She looked the chef in the eye without blinking as she took another swig of the foul liquid.

***

She walked out silently with both bottles and the knife, leaving the staff to spark up their own conversations. She walked up towards her room and stopped at a window.

She squinted into the distance and saw Ganondorf's Gerudo army. They were due to arrive the next day and Zelda was obviously thrilled about that.

She found her way to her room and put the spare bottle down and placed the knife under her pillow. After that, she took another swig of the spirits.

She didn't fight is as the foul liquid made her cringe. It burned down her throat and sent a shiver down her spine. Her head started to throb with agony as the alcohol Started to kick in. She didn't mind it though. It wasn't long before she put the bottle down and fell asleep on her bed.