The Deceptive Monarch.

Link rushed through the green woods with the Princess over his shoulder. He whistled loudly as he burst through the trees and came into Hyrule Field. He had enough time to catch his breath before he heard the beating of hooves on the ground.

Epona, his loyal stallion galloped over the hill and came to a slow trot. Link carefully lifted the Princess up on the saddle before climbing on behind her. Wrapping one hand around her waist to secure her, Link grabbed the reins with his remaining hand and kicked his legs on Epona's side.

The faithful companion bolted off. She could tell that her human was in distress and she could tell that there was another passenger but she didn't know who. Link patted her muzzle as an apology for not warning her about the second person or why they were in a rush.

Link knew that the Princess was in danger the closer she was to the Castle. They needed some place to go where they could hide. They could make up better plans from there.

A place sparked up in Link's mind.

A broad smile spread across Link's face as he remembered the sweet little ranch he had once called home. He couldn't wait to see her again, it felt like so long since he had left her to join the Royal Guard. He remembered the promise he made her... He promised that once he had been knighted a senior rank, he would come back to her... It was a pity that they would have to meet again under these circumstances but he smiled all the same.

***

"Where was Link?" Pike leaned over and whispered to his best friend.

"I don't know!" Hable snapped.

"No body has seen him since the arm ran through the castle last night!"Arthur added.

"You are probably wondering why I summoned you all here?" The King chuckled wickedly.

All the Knights held back a shiver as the beast spoke. Hable, Pike and Arthur gulped and stopped speaking as they looked up at the King who sat upon the throne like he owned it. The worst part was, he did own it now but they didn't know that yet.

"Your King..." Ganondorf started with a hollow smile, "Is dead!"

All the Knights in the huge throne room gasped and conversations were about burst through the room but Ganondorf wasn't done talking.

"He was murdered!" He bellowed into the hall, "by Princess Zelda!"

It was then that the conversations erupted through the crowd. Some shouted over the rest in outrage.

"Lier!" They cried "She wouldn't do that!"

Ganondorf leaned back on his throne and smiled coldly again, "Yes! She did! She is a traitor to your King Regent!" He growled, "And to me!"

He gestured to the bandages that were wrapped around his arm where Zelda's knife had nicked him. He growled low again at the Royal Guard.

"She is no longer my loving wife!" He announced, "She is a dangerous animal!"

Gerudo warriors burst through the door and lined the walls of the Throne room. The Royal Guard knights looked around at them nervously. They surrounded them.

"The Princess must be hunted down!" Ganondorf beat his fist down on the arm of his throne.

The guards muttered amongst themselves before one of them finally spoke up, "And what if we refuse to carry out your orders?" He dared to say.

"That is your choice of course but..." He trailed off while he laughed a shrill laugh.

One of the Gerudo Guards walked forward and drove her spear through the young man's chest. He let out a helpless yelp before dropping to the ground. The other knights gasped and stopped talking. The looked up at the King and cowered away from him.

***

Zelda had woken up just after dawn but she didn't talk. She couldn't talk. She just sat on the saddle in silence as her knight lead their horse in the direction they were heading in, where ever it was they were heading to.

The hours past quickly and before they knew it, it was growing dark again. Link slowed Epona into a slow trot and led her into the edge of the forest.

Once he determined they were safe there tonight, Link slipped down from the saddle and helped the Princess down. He had to hold her shoulders firmly to stop her from falling over every time her legs gave way.

Zelda hobbled over to the nearest tree and slumped to the floor. She took her quivers one bow off her shoulders and layed them next to herself. Link tied Epona's reins to a nearby tree and petted her muzzle. He checked the saddle bags and found a nice juicy apple which he fed her as a thank you for enduring that long riding journey.

Link cocked an eyebrow in confusion when Zelda reaching into her corset and pulled out a kitchen knife. His eyebrow raised even more when she pulled out a second knife, this one jeweled.

She clasped the jeweled one in her hands closer to her heart. Link started to gather firewood to make camp for the night. He glanced at the Princess every now and then but he couldn't see her face, her braided hair was drawn close.

Link dropped the wood in the middle of the camp and picked up a rock from the forest floor. He knelt down and drew his sword. He skidded the rock down the metal of the sword, creating a flurry of sparks. It took him a few tries but he finally managed to light a fire.

Link looked up when he heard a few faint sobs. He looked over at the Princess and saw her stomach rise and fall randomly, she was the cause of the sobs. He walked over to her and was about to put a hand on her shoulder.

Zelda flinched at his touch and swiveled roun the tree trunk she was resting in so her back was to him. She held the dagger close as she continued to sob as quietly as she could though her breathing became rapid.

Link recoiled his hand and quickly walked over to the other side of the fire. He drew his sword and sat down defensively. They had not spoken a word since they had met but he knew she was tired, she had to be.

Link kept watch all night but he didn't need to. Zelda stayed up all night as well. She cried the entire time.

When dawn came around, Link got up, put his sword in it's scabbard and stretched out his muscles. Zelda got up shakily and flung her quivers over her back and strung her bow over her shoulder. She took the kitchen knife in her hand and stuffed it back in between her corset and her undershirt. She took the other knife and did the same before she brushed down her tattered, bloody dress.