Windows to the Soul.

"Princess, get down!" Lyrah hissed as quietly and as calmly as she could as she ushered Zelda towards the barrels.

"Link, stay with her," she ordered, pushing Link next to her.

Link was about to protest before he was cut of by Lyrah with a cold stare, "Keep her out of sight," she pointed to Zelda, "and try to get to the stables the second you have the chance."

Lyrah rolled another barrel in front of the two as the soldiers marched in through the ranch gate. Zelda had just enough time to grab her weapons before she was herded towards the barrels.

She stuffed the two knives into her belt and tightened her quivers over her shoulder. Her bow was strung around her back.

The two were squashed together in the little space they had. She recoiled at his touch and the lack of space started to make her breath harder. Another barrel was placed over them, blocking off most of the light.

Her chest heaved up and down as her breathing started to come in violent gasps. She could hear Link's breathing as well and she could feel the heat radiating from him.

Harsh laughter boomed in her ears as her clothes were practically ripped off her fragile body. The great beast blew out the candle, leaving her alone in the darkness. The walls seemed to close in. He grabbed her from behind, making her yelp in fear. The pain between her legs was already making it hard to stand so when his huge hands took her waist, she went limp. She felt like a rag doll, a plaything of Ganondorf.

"No... No... No..." She muttered over and over again through her shaky breathing.

Link placed his hand on her shoulder but she slapped it away futility, "No... Please!" She squeaked, her voice hoarse, "No more... Please..."

Link backed as far away from Zelda as he could in the tight space. She tucked her arms and legs into a tight ball as she rocked back and forth. Her eyes darted around the dark.

Her eyes said it all. She was absolutely petrified.

"Zelda... Whatever you're thinking of... Whatever you're talking about... Whatever you're hiding from the world... Whatever is scaring you..." Link spoke soft as he tried to pat her shoulder but realised he shouldn't, "I will always be here."

Zelda stopped muttering and stopped rocking back and forth. Her breathing started to calm and her eyes fixed on Link's.

"Hey!"

Zelda and Link were pulled back to reality as they heard voices outside their hiding place. Zelda and Link pressed their eyes to a small hole in between the barrels.

They saw Lyrah facing a rather tall Gerudo woman.

"By order of the King, these premises are to be searched." The warrior spat in a cold tone.

"Why?" Lyrah placed her hands on her hips as she looked over the Gerudo's shoulder to see the entire force behind her.

"King's orders." She stated clearly.

"What King? Our true King or the foreign one?" Lyrah laughed as she glared up at the Commander.

"Summon him." The Commander waved her aids forward.

A group of Gerudo warriors came forward and started to chant something. There was a puff of black smoke and there stood the great beast himself. He loomed over the small farm girl, his arms crossed and his red eyes boring into hers.

"Ganondorf." Lyrah gulped and tried to look away from those dangerous eyes.

"That's King Ganondorf." He bellowed, sending a chill down everyone's spine.

The workers that had gathered around, bowed their heads, not out of respect, but out of fear.

"King Ganondorf-" Lyrah started but would never be able to finish...

Her voice hitched in her throat as her eyes widened. Everyone seemed not to breathe, spreading silence over the entire ranch.

Link's heart sank as he watched from his hiding place.

Lyrah slowly looked down at her chest and saw the great jagged sword that was stuck inside her.

Ganondorf pulled the blade out, it's jagged edges making her spout blood everywhere.

A single droplet of blood ran down her chin as it escaped her mouth.

Her last breath left her and the light left her eyes.

Her legs gave way and she slumped to the ground.

The workers hadn't recovered from the shock before Ganondorf barked orders to his forces.

Link's brow furrowed in utter rage as he saw Lyrah drop to the dirt. He looked up and saw Ganondorf's amused smile before her turned to his forces.

In a rush of rage and revenge, Link charged.

He pushed aside the barrels and raised his sword in the air. He rushed at the horrible beast much to the surprise of the workers.

Ganondorf turned just in time to bloke the incoming blow.

Ganondorf's great jagged blade sliced through the soft metal of Link's pathetic sword.

Because he wasn't expecting the coming attack, Ganondorf didn't recover enough to move out of the way of the next parry.

As half of Link's sword dropped to the dirt, he sliced forward with what was left.

Ganondorf howled in pain and backed away as he clutched the bicep Link had sliced through.

***

Zelda pushed her way out of the barrels and made sure that no one was watching before she started her sprint toward the bunk house.

She could get to the stables if she went through the bunk house and around the back. She slammed the door shut and was about to reach the other door when she heard movement in the corner of the room.

She jumped but relaxed when she saw it was just the old man. He sat there stroking his beard. He raised his hand and ushered her to move closer.

She did so, cautiously at first but she knew he wasn't really a threat.

"It's dangerous to go alone... Take this..."

The old man reached under his bed and pulled up a sleek sword. It's metal blade shone in the torchlight and it's red pommel was the colour of rich blood.

Zelda looked into the grey orbs that were the old man's eyes and saw that he was gentile and kind. She tol the sword and he handed her the scabbard. She buckled the sword round her waist and smiled at him before running through the next door.

***

Zelda dumped their things into Epona's saddle bags. After a few failed attempts, she managed to clamber onto Epona's back. Zelda patted her muzzle and took the reins.

Luckily, Epona had grown up with Link and knew when he was in trouble. Zelda couldn't ride a horse but Epona didn't need Zelda to rescue Link.

She bolted out of the stable with Zelda trying her best to stay steady. They heard the great howl that Ganondorf gave out and Epona galloped towards it.

Sure enough, there Link was, Cornered by Gerudo warriors and his sword practically split in two. One of the Gerudo thrust a spear into Link's shoulder, making him back away and recoil in pain.

Zelda beat the reins down and Epona went as fast as she could.

"LINK!" Zelda screamed as she neared him.

Link's head snapped towards Zelda and Epona. He started to string in the direction they were heading. When they came up besides him, he grabbed the saddle and flung himself on it. Epona didn't even need to slow down.

With both passengers on board, Epona bolted into the forest, trying to put as much distance as she could between them and the huge army at their heels.

Link clutched his broken sword in one hand and with the others he nursed the open wound on his shoulder. Zelda had to hold his thighs so he wouldn't fall out of the saddle.