Chapter 42

Scratch that. Everything was not perfect. Not even 10 minutes after we had finished eating, one of the windows in the kitchen was shattered and we heard gunshots and people shouting.

Before I had time to react, my body was being lifted and I looked up to see Hyunjin carrying me to the basement while Mina and Jisung followed.

The boys pushed the bookcase aside revealing the same small room I was in before. Jisung gave a gun to Mina and Hyunjin placed a knife in my hands.

"Stay safe princess. I love you."

"You stay safe too. Okay Jinnie? I love you!"

He hugged me tight and kissed my head before pushing Mina and I into the room and closing the door.

I turned to my friend and she mirrored the same terrified face that I'm sure I had.

"What the fuck is happening?" I could feel the tears brimming in my eyes and everything suddenly became a blur before I blinked and the tears started to fall.

"Rae, shh." Mina placed the gun in her waist band and pulled me into her arms. "I'm just as scared as you are, but we need to stay quiet okay?"

She gently pulled me into the ground and held me in her arms as she hummed a calming melody.

However, her sweet, melodic humming couldn't drown out the shouting and gunfire we heard above us. I held her tighter and she just kept stroking my hair as she hummed.

We both stopped breathing when we heard feet running down the stairs.

"She's got to be here somewhere! There's no way that Chan would let her be away from him or that idiot boyfriend of hers." I recognized the voice as Taeyong's and my tears fell harder as I silently sobbed. "Search the place! We are not leaving until we find her."

"We have other plans." I heard Chan's voice and my head perked up, the slightest bit of hope finding its way into my heart.

There were no words after that, but Mina and I huddled closer together as we heard punches landing, glass breaking, and finally, someone being thrown into the bookcase that hid the entrance to where Mina and I were. We were both terrified.

A single gunshot was heard, and everything went silent. My head shot up and I locked eyes with Mina. It was dead silent outside of where we were, and we didn't even breathe for fear of them hearing us. We stayed completely still, until a familiar voice broke through the silence.

"Are there any more of their members here? Check the entire house. We won't bring the girls out until we know they're gone," Chan sounded out of breath and I heard a few pairs of feet shuffle up the stairs. Mina and I breathed out a sigh of relief as we heard my brother speaking.

A few minutes later, we heard many pairs of feet come down the stairs. "No one else except us and Bangtan is here, Chan." I recognized Felix's deep voice and smiled as Mina and I stood up, ready to be released from this small room.

"Rae? Mina? It's Chan. We're gonna open the door." Mina and I stood back and waited as we heard the bookcase being moved. Suddenly, the light from the basement flooded the small room and Mina and I ran out and into Chan's arms.

He hugged us both tightly and kissed our heads. "It's okay, shh. You're safe." He whispered between our heads so we could both hear. As we pulled away from the hug, Jisung wrapped his arms around Mina and she cried in his arms. I looked around but didn't see Hyunjin.

I started to panic. "Chan, w-where's Hyunjin?" I turned to my brother and he looked at the ground. I suddenly couldn't breathe. I pushed through everyone and ran up the stairs screaming out his name.

No, this can't be happening. I need him. Tears blurred my vision as I was met with a sight I never wanted to see.