Chapter 46: The C Word

Olivia's POV:

A  month or so had passed since that night. Niall and I have been on speaking terms and are closer again. Things aren't as good as they were, but we have been spending a lot more time together, as well as going on more dates. I had released the first single to my second album which had got to number one in several countries, and I had been working on my album a lot. I have also done some concerts here and there as well as signing and press events. I also visited a pediatric hospital where I played and helped raise some money for it.

Today was a weekend, and Niall was taking me on another date. He said we were going to go watch Derby County play. I had told him a while ago that I liked watching football live, just not on TV when he asked why I didn't like football. We were going to go watch the game and then grab something to eat afterwards. 

"You ready?" Niall asked coming out of his room with a Derby shirt on as well as a scarf and I nodded.

We headed out of the building and Niall drove to the stadium. We parked nearby and then walked the rest of the way. There were a couple of people who knew who we were and we took photos and signed things for them, but other than that, there wasn't much bother. We both got a snack for the game and then went to find our seats. We were in the middle of the stadium along the length of the pitch.

"Come on," Niall and I yelled, cheering Derby on. The game finished and Derby won one nil. We then left the stadium and headed to a near by restaurant. As Niall drove, I answered a phone call that was coming through.

"Hello miss Smith, I have some news for you," My doctor, who took blood samples and an MRI said.

"Ok thank you, can I book and appointment then?" I asked.

"I really recommend you come in as soon as possible, I have some bad news that really needs to be talked over in person," He said and I froze.

"Bad news?" I asked scared.

"Yes, would you be able to come in now?" He asked.

"Yes of course," I said before hanging up.

"Niall, we need to go to the hospital, the doctor said it's bad news," I told him.

"What, how bad?" He asked worriedly.

"I don't know, but bad enough that we have to go now," I said and Niall nodded before taking a different route that would get us to the hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Miss Smith, I'm afraid we have found cancerous cells in your blood," The doctor said after we had sat down facing him,  desk separating him from us. My heart stood still in that moment.

"Wha-what, I I have cancer?" I asked.

"I'm sorry Miss Smith, you will be able to get all the support you need, you should let your family know, but we also need to talk about treatment options," The doctor said and I listened as he continued.

"You have Acute Myeloid Leukemia which is the most commonly occurring type of leukemia. This affects the myeloid cells and grows quickly. This type of cancer will worsen very quickly, so treatment needs to start as soon as possible. Have you had any of these symptoms?" He asked handing me a piece of paper with a list.

"Yes, I've had night sweats and headaches a lot, I lost weight recently, even though I've been eating the same. I just thought it was hormone imbalance because I had that a few years ago," I told him.

"No not this time, we are sure on the results. I will give you lots of information to read up on, but because this is acute leukemia, we need to start treatment. You will go into remission where we will try and get rid of all signs of leukemia and the symptoms. Afterwards, you will also need consolidation therapy to prevent a relapse," He said and I nodded.