Chapter 47: An Operation

Olivia's POV:

"I'm afraid your cancer treatment is not working," he said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"During the rest times, the cancerous cells are growing at an extreme rate that can't be controlled by chemotherapy," he said.

"So what can we do?" I asked.

"Well there are three options. You can either continue with the chemo and radiation therapy, stop all therapy, or go into hospital and have a stem cell transplant which will have a higher success rate if a suitable match is found," he said.

"Ok, I think I want to do the stem cell transplant," I said.

"Ok, this is a simple operation, but will keep you in hospital for six weeks, and it is only best to do if there is a match. We will have to test your family as they will be your closest matches, do you have any brothers or sisters?" he asked.

"Yes, I have a sixteen and a six year old brother," I told him.

"Ok, it's best to test siblings first as they are more likely to match, it would be good if you talked to your family about it, and we would prefer to test your older brother first as we don't want younger children to have to go through it unless it is necessary. Is that all ok?" He asked and I agreed before saying goodbye to him.

I would be getting a taxi back to my parents house in the morning as they insisted I spent my time with someone there to help unless it was a small amount of time alone. This would also give me the chance to talk to my parents about the transplant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hello darling, how have you been?" My dad asked, hugging me as he opened the door.

"I'm fine, I got some news from the doctor that I need to talk to you and mum about," I told him and he nodded, picking up my suitcase and I followed him into the house and into the kitchen. My brothers were both in the lounge so I sat down at the table.

"The doctor said that the chemo hasn't been working and gave me a couple of options to go forward with. I decided to have the stem cell transplant, it means they need a match to donate stem cells to me, they said they need to test Dominic first and then Noah if he isn't a match," I told them and they nodded looking serious.

"Ok darling, we need to have a conversation with the boys so they know what is going on and understand what is happening," mum said and I nodded.

My mum and dad brought my brothers into the kitchen and started to explain what would be happening. Noah didn't really understand what was happening, but Dominic did and was a lot more serious than usual. He agreed to be tested as a match and said he would donate the stem cells if he was.

The next few days were tough, the fact that I was going to go through the last possibility to get throught this cancer had sunk in and I was now a lot more scared than when I was told.

I had spoken to my doctor who had said my brothers blood was a match and we would have to be in London when the stem cells were taken from him and put into myself. I would be healing for at least six weeks while they checked everything was going as planned. We had booked the operation and I had paid to get to a private surgery so I did not spend as long on a waiting list. We were all going to travel down to London in a weeks time. I was paying for my family to stay in a hotel, and Niall would be returning shortly as the boys had a break before the American tour. I had told him about the news and he was a lot more upset than I had been, I had struggled to take it all in, but he got a lot more emotional, a lot sooner. His plane arrived back on the day of the operation, so I didn't expect him to be there in time before I went into the theatre.