Chapter Twenty-Two

The week passed slowly, and Annabeth just couldn't forget what had happened at Pipers house. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't shake the thought out of her head. But today was an exception, for once the thoughts slid away (somehow). She bet it was because the school dance was happening today, and she actually couldn't wait. She started at the blue-gray dress in front of her and the dreaded pair of high heels her father had gotten for her. School had ended an hour ago, and here she stood in front of her dress and waiting for her friends to come over.

She didn't have to wait too long for Katie to come and after her the rest came (one by one).

Katie looked around as she lower lip started to shake, slightly. "I-I just can't believe it."

Calypso looked down, and Annabeth decided to speak up. "We need to find her."

"But how?" Calypso asked, looking up.

"We could... ask the others? The demigods?" Reyna suggested.

"That's a good idea," Hazel said, smiling politely.

"Let's do that, then," Reyna decided. "But when?"

"School?" Katie suggested.

"So, tomorrow?" Calypso asked.

Annabeth nodded.

-

"Annabeth!" Hazel called, trying to catch the alternate version of her friend before class.

"Hazel?" Annabeth asked. "What is is?"

"We need your help," Hazel said, panting.

"For what?" Annabeth asked.

"Pipers missing, this snake lady was there and apparently she took her," Hazel said.

"Your Piper?" Annabeth asked.

"Yeah, my Piper," Hazel said, awkwardly.

"I'll talk to the others," Annabeth confirmed. "We'll take care of this together."

"Thank you," Hazel said, smiled and left for her own class.

-

"Everybody!" Annabeth exclaimed, but the chattering continued. Sure, a few people stopped talking, but the rest continued.

"Everybody!" Annabeth repeated, this time louder.

Nothing happened.

"Everybody!" She said one last time, this time my h louder. Now the chattering died down.

"What is it, Wise Girl?" Percy asked, a sheepish smile on his face as she glared at him.

"Piper went missing," Annabeth said.

"But she's right here!" Travis joked, pointing to Piper.

"Their Piper is missing, apparently an empusa kidnapped her," Annabeth said.

"What's and em- emp-" Magnus said, trying to pronounce Empusa.

"Empusa," Annabeth said.

"What she said," Magnus said.

-

"Have you told Annabeth?" Rachel asked Hazel.

Hazel nodded. "Yes, I did."

"What'd she say?" Rachel asked.

"She was going to tell the others, and they- we'd figure it out," Hazel informed.

"We? We're helping?" Rachel asked.

"Yes, we are," Hazel said. "Apparently."

Rachel nodded.

-

"Okay, the monsters must've gotten through somehow," Annabeth said. "Maybe they followed us?"

"But when?" Katie asked. "They couldn't have followed us, we saw the portal close!"

"What- Maybe they followed Magnus?" Percy suggested.

"Percy... Maybe they did," Annabeth said. "We left before the portal closed, after all."

"But why?" Rachel asked. "Why leave before the portal closed?"

"I- I don't know," Annabeth admitted.

"We all make mistakes," Rachel said. "You're not an exception."

Okay, I know it's short, but I had to publish something and I didn't want you guys to have to wait longer