Unbreak My Heart

In trauma, we're concerned with one overriding question. How did this happen? What was the mechanism of injury? How do we see past the mess and confusion of trauma to figure out what the damage actually is? Infinite possibilities put the patient on the table in front of you. Now you have to figure out, will they live? Will you be able to save them or are they a lost cause? Every part of a trauma tells a different piece of the story and until you look at each and every injury, you can't see what went wrong.

"What? You...you can't be serious," Keith said incredulously, eyes wide in disbelief. "Why in the world would we...I thought we were okay! I thought you and I would last!"

"Life just doesn't work like that sometimes," she said quietly, arms folded across her chest. "Believe me, I don't want this, but it's for the best–"

"The best? How is any of this for the best?! You're breaking up with me in front of a hospital and in front of every single damn patient and doctor!"

"Keith, keep your voice down! Everyone is going to hear–"

"Everyone already heard!" Keith snapped, standing up and clenching his fists tightly at his sides. "Do you know what a slap in the face this is? I'm willing to do everything for you, and you want to leave me for no reason!"

"There's a perfectly good reason–"

"Then what the hell is it? Tell me, Katie, because I'm trying to understand but you're making no sense!" Keith shouted frustratedly, reaching his hands up to tug at his hair.

"We aren't going to last, Keith, and if we keep going on we're just going to disillusion each other when the fantasy time ends. Look at us! We're a resident and a med school student with no plan whatsoever for the future. How are we supposed to last?"

"That never bothered you before, but now all of a sudden it does? I'm not an idiot, Katie! What the hell is going on?! Can we at least talk about it?"

"We've talked about it, and it's not getting us anywhere!" She shouted irritatedly, drumming her fingers impatiently on her arms.

"Do you have any idea what a slap in the face this is?!"

Pidge only stared him down with a sullen look before spinning on her heal and storming away.

Keith gaped after her before letting out a low growl, getting up and following after her with anger in every step he took.

"How long?! How long have I been taking you out on dates when you've already checked out?"

"That is not what happened–"

"No, I just want to know one thing. When did you decide that you were done?" Keith demanded, standing directly in front of her, pointing an accusing finger in her face, heartbreak written all over his features.

She stared at him with a faraway look, mind already miles away from him.

———————————————————————————————————————————————

"So I heard the interns were bothering you. Did they say the same thing again?" Pidge asked, looking at him from the passenger side of the car.

"Yeah, but I'm used to it," Keith shrugged. "You know, it's all just intern stuff. It's nothing I can't handle. Don't worry about it."

"Well you shouldn't be used to handling bullshit like that," she frowned. "Bullying isn't going to fix anything."

"There's nothing to fix, though. I hardly doubt that there's anything to fix in our relationship," Keith said incredulously, glancing at her as he drove down the highway.