Never Enough

"There there," Shay soothed, patting Pidge's arm sympathetically. "It's okay."

"It's not! Do you know how bad this is?! I just...I left him! I left him alone and didn't even explain why! Does that make me a terrible person?"

Allura grimaced as Pidge blew her nose loudly again into a napkin, plucking another one out of the napkin dispenser and handing it to the crying woman.

"Here."

Pidge inhaled sharply, lips still trembling.

"I hate these stupid pregnancy hormones. I usually wouldn't care about a breakup, you know? It shouldn't affect me like this but it is and I don't like it! What am I going to do?"

"More apple juice–?"

"No!" She barked angrily, whirling her head around to face Adam.

"I'll...be over there, then," he said awkwardly, inching away from them slowly.

Acxa sighed. "Pidge, you're all over the place. Can you try to explain what happened?"

"Without bursting into tears at the mention of Keith's name, please?" Zethrid asked with a small annoyed huff.

Pidge exhaled shakily, rubbing her eyes aggressively with the top of her hands. "Fine."

"Well, I uhm...we've been having issues about some stuff, but none of those issues really mattered so we put them aside. Except this issue that actually caused us to break up, it uhm...it was bad. It's probably still going on, actually."

"Does it have to deal with the hospital by any chance?" Ezor asked, tilting her head to the side.

"When does it not? It's always the hospital giving me trouble."

"Just continue," Allura said, smiling sympathetically. "You'll feel better once it's all out. Just breathe."

"....I broke up with Keith a few days ago. I didn't want to, but I did it because I didn't think our relationship was going to work out anymore. I...I made the decision. I didn't step back. It was all my fault," she said quietly, dropping her head into her hands. "Oh god. I made such a mess, and now I'm the mess too! I'm never going to see him again because I broke his heart and now he probably hates me and doesn't want to see my face anymore so he'll pack his things up and leave the hospital for good and then he won't even want to know how the baby is doing and–"

"Pidge!" Acxa interrupted loudly, holding a hand up to stop the woman from speaking.

"What? You told me to vent and I am!"

"You're making up scenarios in your mind that aren't even true," Acxa frowned. "I know Keith, and even if you did break his heart that won't matter because he's so in love with you for reasons that none of us can see. He loves you, even if you don't."

"Hey," Ezor hissed, "don't guilt trip her. She's clearly already feels guilty enough."

"She should've felt guilty when she was breaking up with him and breaking his heart when all he wanted to do was gush all about his good day," Acxa flared back bitterly.

"I thought you said you wouldn't take sides," Zethrid said with a slight glare.

"He's my brother. You do realize that, right? She broke my brother's heart and now he probably won't come back into work because if he does he's going to walk in and see the face of the woman he loves who doesn't love him back and that is–"

"You don't get it! I love him too!" Pidge shouted angrily, abruptly slamming her hands down loudly on the table.

The silence that followed was so full of a judgemental air that it could be sliced in half with a knife, with all her friends staring at her with wide, shocked expressions