005 - First Encounter With The Shadow Knights

≫ ──── ≪•◦ Y/N'S POV ◦•≫ ──── ≪

Honestly, last night with Sasha wasn't that bad. We actually talked a lot and enjoyed each other's company. Though I have to be careful around her. Laurence was serious when he warned me about the Shadow Knights.

The day was normal. I didn't make new friends and at lunch, I sat with Laurence. The two of us were just hanging out like we usually do. I tell him about what happened last night with Sasha.

He starts panicking and face palms.

"Y/N you're so screwed oh my god."

"Laurence don't worry you don't have to-"

"Y/N you're my best friend and if anything happens to you I'd loose it."

We pause for a moment.

"Let's sit with Garroth's friends. Lucinda hangs out with them sometimes so we can tell her what's going on."

After we finish our food, we get up and start walking.

"Laurence..."

I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out.

"Yes?"

He doesn't know about our situation with dad. He doesn't know that Sasha knows. I can't tell him because it would break him. Garroth and I are his best friends and he would be crushed to know what's happening to us.

"Thanks for being a great friend."

Laurence puts his arm around me.

"Thanks for existing, midget." He answers jokingly.

"I take that back. I hate you." I pout.

"Awww I'm sorry." He jokes around playfully.

We sit down as Katelyn and I start talking. We enjoyed complaining about Garroth. That's one thing we have in common.

Laurence explains the situation to Lucinda. She agrees to help me keep my secret. Now all I have to do is hide from Gene, Sasha, and Zenix every night. I screwed up hard. Now I can't sneak out. Now I have to stay home and deal with dad. On the plus side, I can hang out with Zane more.

Laurence decides to tell everyone so we can all help me. It's really nice of him though it's a tad embarrassing. No it's really embarrassing.

I look down blushing and pouting.

"Laurence you asshole. You're
embarrassing me." I say in an angry, bickering tone.

"Awww Y/N I'm sorry." He says jokingly.

Now he gets serious.

"I told them so I could invite them to hang out with Garroth and I. Garroth said we can hang out at his place tonight." Laurence says.

"Garroth!" I shout at him.

He knows it could go wrong. He knows about our situation yet he made a dumb mistake.

Zane, Vylad and I glare at him.

"Whoah someone's mad." Travis says with a laugh.

"Don't worry. I won't flirt too hard with your sister." Dante says snickering.

It's too late to come up with an excuse now. I'm sure everyone cleared their schedules.

The rest of the day went like it usually does. The thing is, the Shadow Knights always greet me in the hallways. It's kind of scary.

They ended up not going to our house. Garroth lied about our dad having a contagious sickness. So our secret's safe for now.

The rest of the week has been alright. Katelyn and I started getting along. Laurence now braids my hair everyday before school. Dante flirts with me but I don't care. Travis and I have a few classes together.

I'd say the first week of high school was a success

I'd say the first week of high school was a success. The thing is, dads drinking gets worse everyday. He got fired from the club he worked. But he still brings money home from Irene knows where. His screaming gets louder day by day. His drinks and debts have increased over time. In short, he's getting worse.

The second week of high school was alright. It's Monday today. I stand in front of the school staring into it. I feel my hair moving and I assume it's Laurence braiding it.

"Laurence? Is that you?"

"Duh." He says.

We usually talk while he braids my hair but right now I'm way too sad to talk.

"Everything alright?" He asks in a concerned voice.

Damn Laurence and his best friend instincts. We're so close that he can tell when I'm upset.

"It's nothing." Wow Y/N. What a great answer.

"Come on. You can tell me." He says playfully.

I can tell he's genuinely concerned.

"Maybe not now, Laurence." I say looking down.

He finishes braiding my hair. He walks in front of me and hugs me. I don't know why but I don't hug back. I just stand there in his embrace.

"Y/N, I know something's wrong but you don't have to tell me if you're not comfortable. But I want to help you. I don't want anything bad to happen to you." Laurence says. He lets go of me with his hands on my shoulders.

"Just don't get hurt. Okay?"

"Okay."

He gives me a fist bump and I walk to class with Zane.

Lunch starts and I get note in my locker. It reads

"Meet me under the bleachers at lunch." I go under the bleachers without hesitance.

It's the Shadow Knights

"Hey Y/N." Says Sasha.

Dammit I don't want to be here.

"I asked Lucinda if she could cancel witchcraft tonight." Sasha says.

"She said okay. Come eat with us. Also come to my house tonight. Gene and Zenix will be here.

"Um actually I'll eat with Laurence."

"Come on! Just this once." I sit with them...and laugh.