Chapter 27 Love Rival

Remus moped around Grimmauld Place not knowing what to do with himself. He wandered from room to room just to admire Kagome's work and catch her scent. He finally wandered into the study where Sirius was now watching the Star Wars trilogy as Kagome had suggested. She said now that serious understood the concept of fiction he could now move on to science fiction and action adventure movies.

Remus sat down on the sofa next to Sirius and took some of his popcorn, "What are you watching now?"

Sirius glared at Remus for taking his popcorn, "It's called Star Wars, Kagome said I'm mature enough to watch these movies now. I think she was trying to be funny."

Remus chuckled, "Of course she was, Padfoot."

They go back to watching the movie, Sirius happily munching on his popcorn and drinking a butterbeer. While Remus sat there staring at the screen seemingly watching a movie, he lets out a long sigh.

Sirius looked over at Moony and rolled his eyes, he then paused the movie.

"Merlin's beard, Moony, she's only been gone a day. I can only imagine how worse this is going to get between now and Christmas.

"Tell me how good you feel having your mate so far away. Oh, I forgot you don't have one."

"Ouch, Moony, that hurt. Remember, Grace may not have been my mate, but I did lose the love of my life forever."

Remus lowers his head in shame, "I-I'm sorry, Padfoot, for saying that. I had no right."

"I know, Moony, I know you didn't mean it."

"It's just I miss her. I didn't think being away from my mate would be so hard. Even if I have no intention of pursuing this, I still feel somewhat at peace being near Kagome."

"You're not going to start that again are you, mate?"

"Start what?"

"Putting yourself down."

"I don't-"

"Yes, you do, especially when it comes to Kagome. When are you going to realize she has feelings for you? Even I can see that."

"But-"

"No, buts, you love her and she's your mate. Granted it's going to be weird having my best friend for a son-in-law,  but I can live with that."

"Padfoot!"

"What, it's true. I don't expect you two to get married right away, but still."

"I can't, Padfoot, I can't expose her to what I am."

Sirius leaned forward and looked Remus dead in the eyes.

"You do know she's an animagus, right?"

"She is?"

"Mhmm, and do you know what she is," Sirius asked with a mischievous look in his eyes.

"Obviously, I don't."

"It's a wolf, Moony, a black wolf. Do you know she wants to keep us company during the full moon?"

"She does?"

"Yes, and guess what her Patronus is? I'll give you three guess and the first two don't count."

"It's a wolf as well."

"Yes, of course, it is!" Sirius exclaims slapping his hands on his thighs, "If those two things are not an indication you're meant to be together, I don't know what is?"

"It proves nothing."

"Nothing?! It proves you're perfect for each other!"

"Don't you find it rather odd that you as Kagome's father are trying to set her up with me, your best friend and a man that is the same age as her father, instead of someone her own age?