Chapter One

"Oppa," Ryung-gi came running into my room. "Are you leaving me?"

My chest tightened. Eomma and Appa must've told her what had happened when I was on my way home from school. I picked up my sister and sat on my bed with her in my lap. She put her arms around my neck, snuggling me, and I held her tightly for a minute.

"I'm not leaving you forever, Ryu-ah," I said to her. "I'm going to Seoul to train to become an idol."

"Idol?" she asked.

"Yeah, like someone who sings and dances on tv and the radio," I explained.

"You know how to do that?"

"Not really. But they want to teach me, Ryu, and it's a really excellent opportunity for me," I told her.

"I'll miss you, Oppa," she said, tearing up.

"I'll miss you, too, Ryung-gi," I said to her, hugging her to me so she didn't see my tears. "But I promise, I'll call home and we can talk as much as I can. Okay?"

She nodded into my shoulder then struggled to get me to let her down before running out of my room. A few minutes later, she came back in with her favorite stuffed bear, Hwan. She held him out to me.

"Why are you giving me Hwan, Ryu?" I asked her confused.

"I want you to take him with you so you don't forget me and so he can protect you like you protect me, Oppa," she said, wiping the tears from her eyes.

I looked at my seven year old sister and saw how hard this was.

"Are you sure you don't want Hwan here with you to protect you?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"No, I want him to protect you, Oppa," she said again. "I love you and I don't want anything bad to ever happen to you. Please let Hwan protect you?"

I let out a sigh and picked her up again, holding her at my waist.

"I'd be honored if Hwan protected me, Ryung-gi," I said to her, taking the bear in one hand and kissing her cheek. "Thank you."

She wrapped her arms around my neck again in a hug. Once I put her down, she stayed with me as I packed. I didn't have the heart to ask her to go since she wasn't taking me leaving well. So, I just let her stay with me and we talked as I packed. She fell asleep in my bed like she sometimes did, so for the last time before I left, I slept holding her safe in my arms, keeping her bad dreams away. When I woke in the morning, I was taking the train back to Seoul to move into the dorms.

Six Months Later:

I had been calling home as often as I could between rehearsals, but I had a lot of rehearsals. On top of it, even though I wasn't the leader (thank the gods, I had no idea what I was doing) I was the oldest and the youngest was five years younger than me. He was also shy, still in middle school, and still needing guidance in a lot of things. Seeing this, being a big brother who couldn't help my little sister at the moment, I decided to help our maknae. His name was Jungkook and he came to the dorms around the same time I did.

"Jungkookie!" I called to the maknae. "Let's go! Your breakfast is waiting and you still need to get to school!"

The boy dragged his feet as he made his way into the kitchen to eat.

"Yah! You're going to be late!" I lectured him. "You know what will happen if you get detention."

He just sighed and finished his breakfast.

"I'm done, Jin-hyung," he said as he bowed to me. "Gamsahamnida."

"It's not a problem, Kookie. I just don't want you to get in trouble."

"Why do you take such good care of me?" he asked.

I hesitated in answering him as I rushed him out the door to the car.

"Because I can help you as a big brother, Kookie," I said simply.

"What does that mean?" he pushed.

"It means that when I came to the dorms, I left my seven year old sister, Ryung-gi, behind at home with Eomma and Appa," I explained. "We were very close even though I'm her senior by so many years."

"Is that why you have a teddy bear you won't let any of the hyungs touch?" Kookie asked.

"That's Hwan," I replied as I continued driving. "He's Ryu's favorite stuffed animal. She begged me to bring him with me to protect me since we'd be apart for so long."

I smiled and I heard Kookie chuckle.

"Your baby sister sounds interesting. As her Oppa, you're supposed to protect her."

"She understood that I had to go, so she was determined to protect me even though we'd be so far away," I explained.

"She sounds adorable, Jin-hyung," Kookie replied.

"Ryung-gi is definitely adorable. And I'm lucky to have her. She always knows how to make me smile," I admitted.

"Well, it's not like we'll never be allowed to see our families again, Jin-hyung. When we debut we'll be busy, but we'll have a little more time than we do now," Kookie said trying to cheer me up.

"I hope so. I Facetime with her as much as I can, keeping my promise to her. I love her so much. More than I thought I could love anyone. From the minute she was born, I just knew that no matter what, I would always do anything to protect and care for her," I replied.

"I'm the younger brother, so I don't get that so much," he admitted.

"I was too, until Ryung-gi was born," I admitted. "We have an older brother, but until she was born seven years ago, I was the youngest child. When she was born, it was like everything changed in me and she became the focal point in my life in a way. I just wanted to make sure she was happy, safe, and protected."

"You sound like an awesome big brother, Jin-hyung," Kookie said.

"We're here. I'll be back to pick you up after school. Try to pay attention in all of your classes. Even the ones that don't hold your interest, Jungkook? It won't hurt you to know more than the things that interest you," I said to him before he got out of the car.

From there I went to my classes. After I picked up Jungkook we had rehearsals with the rest of the guys. We had long days every day of the week, but if it meant that ultimately we'd make it and I'd be able to do more for my family, make them proud, and have more time to spend with my sister, I'd work as hard as they wanted me to.