Chapter 1

Harry's POV

    Moving to a new town only a couple of days before the start of my senior year is definitely not how I envisioned my last year of high school panning out. My mom marrying some rich, Wall Street bloke and wanting to travel the world with him and leaving me behind? Yeah, that wasn't in the cards for me either. Or so I thought.

    My ma and I have lived in Boston my whole life, and we didn't have much. But she worked her ass off as a secretary in some large banking building, and we got by well enough. Until she went out to dinner for one of her girlfriends birthday party, and ended up meeting Baron, her new husband. They've known each other for all of three months and you'd think they'd been together their whole lives as disgusting as they were together. But this was the happiest I could ever remember seeing her, especially since her split with my dad when I was 5 yeas old.

    My parents married young, practically out of high school, and had me not even a year later. Mom always says their first few years together were great, but slowly that feeling of young love just started to wash away, and they grew apart, and neither one of them really did anything to save the marriage. Still, I remember being little and hearing my mom crying on the phone to my aunt, talking about missing my dad because he was always such a constant in her life. I think she was just lonely.

    Dad and me have always had a distant relationship. He had dreams of being sheriff, and my mom wasn't going anywhere without taking me with her. Every holiday my dad always came and saw me whenever he could, even if it was just for the day with his hectic schedule, and we talked on the phone weekly. But moving to Ithaca, New York and living with him full time?

    Fuck that.

    Except not really, because I was given no fucking choice. It was either move with my dad, or feel guilty for depriving my mom of her second chance at happiness again.

    So that leads to now, riding in my dad's police car after he picked me up from the train station. I'm used to the city, hustle and bustle, and this shit has trees and grasslands everywhere. Definitely not the kind of New York you see on TV. I knew my dad lived out here more in the country part of NY, but had never seen it in person.

    "So I got you all registered for school, went and talked to Vice Principal Hendry myself. They're happy to have you." My dad says, clearly trying to start up a conversation to keep this car ride from being any more awkward than it already is.

    I just nod my head. "Sounds good." I don't have much to say, so I keep it simple.

    The rest of the ride is silent, until were pulling up to his quaint two story house, in a well populated neighborhood. There's kids playing in the road, and shooting hoops in a basketball goal at the end of the culdesac.

    "Lot of kids around here." I say, having a hard time picturing my dad living in a family neighborhood.

    Dad grunts as he's pulling my bags out of the trunk of his cruiser. "Yeah, they're all pretty harmless. Worst they ever do is maybe play a little game of ding dong ditch, then I just have them pick up trash or help some older couples out in the neighborhood."

    I close my eyes and shake my head, cause really, I have to have that dad? The one who can't take a joke and just let dumbass kids be dumbass kids?

    School should be fucking great for me if any of them have ever had a run in with him.

    I keep my mouth shut though and walk to the back of the car to start helping him unpack my things, when I hear a lot of voices and a door opening causing me to turn and look. An older boy in the front comes out first, and is immediately followed by 3 more. Two that are clearly younger than him, if we're judging by size, and another that looks around the same age but not as bulky as the first guy.

     "No, you're not fucking driving. Last time I let you, you took out every mailbox on the way out of the neighborhood. Gram is not ripping me a new one again over that shit." The older guy fusses at one of the younger boys, who is clearly not old enough drive but not taking no for an answer.

    "Knox, that's not fair, you know Nash was fucking with me the whole time!"

     They continue to argue and the front door opens up behind them, and I'm wondering how many dudes live in this house. Except it's not another dude.

    It's a girl.

   A really hot girl. She has her brown hair pulled up into a ponytail, and had on black jeans, black combat boots, and a sports hoodie. But she made that shit look good, and she had to know by the careless way she carried herself.

   She rolls her eyes at the guys antics and walks around them to get into the car they're apparently going to ride in. She opens the door and goes to get in the front seat, but looks up at the last minute and we make eye contact, seeing as how I haven't looked away from her. She must have felt me staring.

    Her eyes are empty though, they hold nothing as her gaze travels over my body, clearly realizing I'm new to town, and probably taking notice to me unloading bags at the Sheriff's house.

    "You need help with that?" My dad asks, snapping me out of my trance, causing me to jump in surprise. I never even heard him walking back here to the car, so focused on her and my thoughts.

    I bet I look real cool to all of them right now.

    "Nah, I've got it." I say, and then look back over to see her again, but she's already lowered herself into the car, and all the other boys have piled in as well, with the older one, who I assume is Knox, driving.

    I watch the car pull away, and she never glances my way again, but the guys she's with surely do, and they take me in, and then my dad standing next to me.

    A single glance was all it took for me to completely obsessed with this girl, and it was achingly obvious that she did not return my infatuation at all. If anything, her eyes held boredom when they took me in, which was not something I was used to with the opposite sex.

    Not tooting my own horn, but I'd always been able to pull girls in easily, without much effort on my part. It was easy to detect what a girl wanted to hear, what kind of guy she wanted to be approached by. I played that part out, got the girl, and went on to the next. Ive had one girlfriend my whole life and that was in middle school, so does that even truly qualify as a girlfriend? With her though I couldn't tell if she just wasn't interested in general, or because she couldn't be. She was surround by four other guys.

    Granted, two of them were definitely younger, but the other two were her age or older.

    Are they her friends? Boyfriend? Brothers?

    I'm about to ask my dad, when he beats me to the punch.

    "Stay away from those kids, you hear me?" He heaves my suitcase up and starts walking into the house.

     "Who are they?"

     "Trouble."

      "They didn't look like trouble?" Not that I gave the others much of my attention, she had all of it. And she looked like trouble, but the good kind.

     "Yeah well, looks can be deceiving. I've brought those kids home in the back of my car more times than I care to talk about. The girl more than anyone else. If it wasn't for their grandma, I would have sent them to Juvie a long time ago."

     So she was a delinquent. Why was that attractive to me? I never found grungy girls like that hot, but she pulled it off and I wasn't even up close to her.

     My dad apparently is done with the conversation though, as he excuses himself back outside to go mess around with something in the yard. I carry all my shit upstairs and start unpacking. Been here only 10 minutes and were already distancing ourselves from each other.

     I walk over to my window, and it faces the house across the street, where they all came out of. And I can't help but wonder even more now who are they are after my dads obvious distaste of them.

     I wonder especially about her, and decide I'll figure things out on my own if my dads not willing to tell me anything.