Chapter 40

Memphis POV

I hardly recognized the girl in the mirror looking back at me.

She had my eyes, my hair, my everything, but I had never seen myself look so feminine before. My green eyes seemed to pop in a way they never had before, and my long brown hair was curled to perfection and had a loose braid going around the crown of my head. I had pretty drop earrings on my ears, and my 'M' initial necklace laying center of my chest.

My light pink dress contrasted well against my tan skin, and my painted toes looked pretty coming out of my peep toe heels. Sierra was right, they really weren't that hard to walk in.

I had never felt so pretty before, and all I was hoping was that Harry would think the exact same thing of me when he saw me. I could feel my heart racing in my chest at just the thought of seeing him dressed up in a tux. I'd never seen him in anything but jeans and a T-shirt, minus the day he went to Principal Sanders funeral.

I took a deep breath and studied myself in the mirror for another second before looking away, knowing if I kept letting myself overthink everything I'd make myself chicken out and call Harry and tell him I'd fell and broke an ankle or something.

Picking up my perfume bottle, I sprayed my wrist and chest a couple times and then grabbed a cinnamon disk and popped one in my mouth, letting the familiar taste of it calm my nerves a little bit.

This was Harry. My boyfriend of a couple months now. He had seen me completely naked and at my most vulnerable, so why was I reacting this way? Harry told me all the time how beautiful he thought I looked, and our sex life was a testament to that. He definitely had no qualms showing me just how much he truly enjoyed seeing me completely bare.

Leaning forward in the mirror, I pointed my finger in my own face. "Get your shit together. You got this."

"What are you doing?" A voice interrupted my pep talk to myself, causing me to shriek and jump.

I stumbled in my heels a little bit and had to catch myself on the sink.

"Jesus Knox, could you knock maybe?"

"The doors open?" He says, showing me the obviousness of there being an open door way.

"Yeah well..just shut up." I say and turn away and start pretending to tidy up the sink to keep my nerves from taking over again.

"What's the matter?" Knox asks, stepping into the bathroom and getting in my personal space.

"Nothing." I say in a futile attempt to get him to drop the subject, but I know better.

He grasps my shoulders gently and spins me around to face him. His eyes take in my face and dress and I see him soften. "Why are you nervous? You look beautiful Memphis. I've never seen my baby sister look so grown up."

His words and voice are so sincere that I feel my eyes start to well with tears, and I have to wave my hands in front of my eyes to dry them up. Sierra would kill me if I ruined my make up before I even made it out of my house.

     "Can you not make me cry right now, please?"

     Knox looks confused. "I said something nice, why are you crying?"

     "I don't know. I think I'm psyching myself out."

     "About?"

     "Harry. And him seeing me like this."

     My brother rolls his eyes dramatically. "Oh, you mean Harry who is completely and totally sickingly obsessed with you? Why the hell are you worried? You know he's going to think you look great." His eyes darken just a smidge. "And you know if he ever said anything different I'd break his face in."