Chapter 12

Harry's POV

    The feeling of wanting to flee the classroom and rescue Memphis was so intense I swear I could taste it. She tried to play it off, I could tell. But I saw the way her hands were shaking when she was putting her books in her bag, I saw the way her face was an obvious shade of white, instead of the normal olive tone she usually had.

    My knee was bouncing up and down involuntarily, the amount of nerves in my body making it impossible to sit here and be still. Mrs. Smith is talking, and I'm trying to pay attention to what she's saying, but everything is falling on deaf ears.

    Dickson keeps glancing back at me, noticing my reaction. When the bell finally rings dismissing us from class, I shoot up out of my chair like there's an airbag under me, already halfway out of the room before anyone else is even out of their seats. An arm grabs me from my departure though, making me want to slam my fist into anyone face that is trying to stop me.

    I come up short though when I see it's Dickson.

    "What the hell is going on?" He asks.

    "What do you mean?" I say, playing dumb.

    "Don't be a prick. You know exactly what I'm talking about. What did my sister do to get in trouble and that has you so out of sorts?"

    I breathe a little easier knowing he just thinks shes in trouble and that I'm worried about her. He's not suspecting that the Principal of this school is probably inappropriately feeling up his underage sister. Then again, I'm upset he's not figuring it out, because I know without a doubt, Memphis's brothers would burn this fucking school down if they knew someone was hurting her.

    "I don't know what she did, honestly."

    "Then why the hell did you freak out as soon as she left?"

    "Uhh...I gotta take a piss." I'm a fucking idiot, it's decided.

    Dickson looks at me like he completely agrees with my internal thoughts. "You have to take piss, huh?"

    "Mhmm." I say nodding my head and rocking back on my heels, and moving sideways for the students that are trying to pass around where we're standing in the middle of the hallway.

    "You're full of shit. And if something is going on with my sister, I need to know."

    I'm considering giving him another line, something to bide time until I can find Memphis and make sure she's alright. This conversation can wait, despite how much it really needs to happen. But then I decide, maybe if they know, they'll be able to talk to her about whatever is going on between them.

    I know there's still so much shit that Memphis isn't telling me, the girl is full of secrets. But by the pure look of worry and dread that was on her face when Principal Sanders called her to his office, I know whatever is going on is one sided. She needs help, clearly. Whatever is making her go along with whatever he's doing to her has to be serious. It's the only explanation I can conjure up in my head that makes any kind of sense.

    I open my mouth, unsure of it's going to be another lie or the ugly truth, but then the bathroom door opens up and Memphis walks out, wiping her hands with a paper towel. I scan her with my eyes immediately, looking for any signs of her being hurt, and when I see she's okay, I sag against the lockers behind me.

    "Memphis what the hell is going on?" Dickson asks, walking over to her immediately.

    "Nothing, why?" Her voice is void of any emotion, nothing like the laughing, bubbly girl that was in class less than ninety minutes ago.