Chapter 9

Harry's POV

     I was woke up at the ass crack of dawn with my dad blasting some military horns through a bluetooth speaker. All the whole, he was standing in my door way grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

     I fell asleep before he got home last night, so I went to bed knowing good and well I'd be woken up by him at some point. I knew I would more than likely be grounded and punished.  

    What I didn't expect, was for him to actually go pretty easy on me, and only give me a days worth of punishment and shit to do around our house and other people who lived on the street. For being a cop, he was actually pretty laid back about what happened.

     "Son," he said. "I was your age once, I did the same thing you did last night a thousand times, only difference is I never got caught. I wouldn't such an issue with it if it wasn't for all you kids thinking it was okay to get behind the wheel of a car after you've downed ten beers and done a keg stand."

     The fact that my dad was talking about keg stands so leniently has my thrown for a loop. I know he's not uninformed when it comes to this stuff, he's a cop, I know he's probably seen more shit then I ever will. But still.

    He took it upon himself to call and let my mom know what happened, which led to me having to talk to her for almost thirty minutes and assuring her that i'm not doing anything here that I didn't do at home.

    "Dad, I've never drove drunk a day in my life, nor would I get in the car with someone who was drunk. It isn't as serious as you're making it out to be."

    He looks at me with contempt in his eye. "Yeah?  Tell that to the parents of the teenage girl who had to stand outside her hospital room last night after she had to have her stomach pumped because she had alcohol poisoning. One of our officers found her unresponsive in a room upstairs, all alone."

    I flinch a little, not expecting that to be his response.

   "I can't expect anyone is this town to abide by the law if my own son doesn't listen to them. Anyway, you're going to be doing a couple things for me around the house today while i'm at work, and then a couple of the yards in this neighborhood need to be cut. I offered for you to do it."

    He left me list of the houses with the yards I had to cut, and let me know everything I needed to do around our house. Which consisted of me cleaning out the gutters, washing the window shutters, trimming the hedges, fixing all the loose wooden boards on the deck, and other little things.

   I try my hardest not to let myself get distracted by Memphis and her brother's, who are also outside working. At one point I see her and Dickson putting soap down on the driveway and then scrubbing it with brushes. I do my best not to laugh at that, knowing that's just her Gram's way of giving them some lame ass chores to do.

   She of course has to be working in a sports bra, and some little shorts so tight that could pass as spandex. Thankfully, I go to mow the yards around the block and can't see her anymore, which means I can stop looking over my shoulder every few minutes to sneak another glance at her.

   I pride myself on the fact that I caught her looking back at me a couple times, especially when the sun came out and I decided to take my shirt off.

    It's late in the evening by the time I make it back to my house, having finished everything my dad asked of me. I'm surprised to see Memphis and her two brothers, Dickson and Nash, standing on my front porch. Dickson knocks on the door and they all stand back and wait, having no idea that no one is home and I'm right behind them.