chapter 33

Memphis POV

    It's the middle of the work and school week, and we're just now getting the opportunity to speak with my Gram about everything we found out with Principal Sanders. He's been out of school all week, the vice principal said he was sick with the 'flu'. Which whatever, the less I have to see his conniving face, the better.

    We're all seated around the dinner table, eating a huge meal that my Gram has made. Harry is at home with his dad tonight, something about needing to work on some car project they have in their garage. Harry's dad actually waved at me this morning when I went by their house on my morning run. I'm sure he's still not too happy about his son dating me, but at least he's not making it seem like he can't stand the thought of us together anymore.

    "Bristol, Nash." Knox says, and thats all he has to say. They were already told before dinner that they would have to leave the table after eating so the three of us could talk to Gram alone. Gram is the only one who doesn't know what's going on.

    "Man, I always get left out of the good stuff." Bristol complains as he gets up from the table, dragging his feet along the way.

    "What's going on?" Gram asks, looking at us.

    "We have some stuff to tell you and a couple things to ask you." Knox says, and I feel my stomach drop at the reminder of telling my Gram what was going on with Aiden and I.

    Gram crosses her arms and looks at us, very unamused. "Okay, well get on with it."

"We know that principal Sanders used to date mom when they were in school together and that he's from our hometown." Knox says, starting off by sharing something light first.

Gram's face gives nothing away. "Okay, and?"

"And that my father apparently wasn't against being a father at all, and that when you finally got us out of this mess with Pops, you're the one who contacted Principal Sanders about living here after you saw some article in the paper."

"Yes, that's true. I figured it was a good place to get you kids away from your mother, especially if there was a familiar face here." Gram says.

The way she says things let's me know she doesn't realize just how twisted up Aiden is, which brings me relief and regret. Relief, because I would have been heartbroken to find out my Gram wasn't who I thought she was, and regret because I know telling her something like this is really going to hurt her, and she may even shoulder the blame.

"How did you find all of this out?" Gram asks suspiciously.

"Principal Sanders." Dickson answers.

"Why would he tell you all something like this? There's no reason to stir up the past and old issues." She says.

"He blackmailed Memphis." Knox says, and my eyes instantly drop to the table, not able to look my Gram in the eye after a reveal like that.

I feel the tension pick up in the air around me. "Blackmailed her how?" Gram asks.

"Said he would get me in trouble if she didn't do what he asked of her." Knox says, giving Gram the PG version of events, which I'm grateful for. But I know my Gram, and I know she won't be satisfied with such a vague response.

"And what did he ask for?" She asks.

"Memphis.." Knox trails off, and I can tell he wants to be the one to tell her.

I take a deep breath before lifting my head and looking my Gram in the eye with as much strength as I can muster.

"He would ask me to say certain stuff, and he would hit me with a ruler. Usually when I got in trouble or he saw something he didn't like, it was his way of controlling me and giving me a punishment."