Chapter 21

PART TWO

Memphis POV

When I finally make it back home, I'm surprised to see that no one had actually noticed my extended absence. Walking through the door, my brothers' heads all pop up simultaneously at my hasty entrance. I'm soaked in sweat, ponytail half hanging out of the rubber band, grass and dirt on me from laying on the ground, and a slight limp in my walk from wearing my body out so damn bad with how much I decided to run. I'm sure it'll be even worse tomorrow when I wake up.

"Memphis, where the hell you been? We all thought you were still sleeping and were letting you rest." Dickson asks.

I walk into the kitchen and grab a glass before filling it up with water out of the sink faucet. "I didn't want anymore rest, I wanted to run." I chug the entire glass of water, before refilling it and doing it again.

"You should have told us, someone could have ran with you."

"Yeah..not sure you would have been able to keep up." I say, looking pointedly at his face and chest, where most of the damage was done. His face definitely looks better, most of the swelling is gone and the bruises have turned to a light yellow. His ribs on the other hand are going to take a lot more than 2 weeks to heal.

Dickson looks shocked, rightfully since I'm never really mean to him. But even he couldn't deny the fact that my voice sounded anything but friendly or playful. "Well obviously, but Knox, Bristol or Nash could have gone with you."

"I don't need a fucking babysitter, especially not from two of my little brothers."

"What's wrong with you? Where is this coming from?" Knox asked, eyes analyzing everything like he always does. I hope my mask is in place enough where he can't see the sadness I'm trying to hide. The attitude i'm using to help cover it up. If anyone could see through my bullshit first, it would be him.

"It's not coming from anywhere, I'm just tired of you all treating me like I'm some little girl who needs to be looked after every second of everyday. How long did you really think I was going to let this go on before I had a total bitch fit about it?"

None of my brothers say anything this time, especially Nash and Bristol who have never really seen or heard me act any way but as the loving older sister. Knox and Dickson glance at each other questionably.

"Did something happen that we don't know about?" Knox finally asks.

"Nothing that I didn't just tell you while standing here." It was too early for any of them to see Officer Styles and I outside this morning.

It's not like I couldn't tell my brothers about it, I could. And maybe I will. But if I know them, they'll know how unhappy this will make me, which means they'll do everything they can to make it not happen or to convince Officer Styles to change his mind. But I don't want that. And I need to set my plan into action before I let anyone in on what I'm actually doing.

I want Harry to find himself someone that doesnt risk his safety, or criminal record. Someone who people won't look sideways at if they see us holding hands or kissing outside of a movie. That will never be me, not with the name my brothers and I have made for us in this town.

I never really cared about how we were viewed before, I never had a reason to. Among our peers, were envied. Everyone wants to know the Brooks' siblings. The elusiveness and mystery of us is something that kids our age can't help but be drawn to and want to be a part of.

But parents and adults who know better? They hate us. Despise us. We're the kids they tell you stay away from because we will do nothing but get you into trouble. Pressure you.

Really, were just normal teenagers who have decided to do something different to make it work for our fucked up family. It's not like any of that can be explained though, and none of us have ever cared to explain ourselves. My older brothers like the attention.

But now?

Now I wish I was the type of girl that everyone envied for different reasons. Because it cost me the first boy I think I've ever truly had feelings for. The one and only boy who has ever weaseled his way into my heart that didn't share my last name.

I'll never be that girl though, and Harry can never be the type of guy that my brothers are. I won't allow it and neither will his father. So the only thing I can do is to let him go.

My eyes start to burn with the threat of tears, so I turn and place the glass in the sink and start washing it. There's nothing but silence behind me, but I can feel 5 sets of eyes trained on me. I start scrubbing the glass so hard trying to distract myself from my internal thoughts and feelings, that the glass smashed in my hands and slices open my palm.

Warm hands grab my shoulders and pull me away from the sink.

Knox grabs my face and looks me in the eye. "What's going in Memphis? I know you, we all know you. You're not acting like the same person you were yesterday. You know we're only watching you like a hawk because we love you and feel like pieces of shit for what we let happen. No one is trying to upset you or overwhelm you. If you need some alone time, all you have to do is say that to us."

His kind words and understanding make me only cry harder. I know I give my eldest brother the hardest time, but I know there's no one in this world who would protect me the way he does. Always has. But this is something I have to do, and he unfortunately can't protect me from a broken heart.

"Fine. I need alone time. All of you need to stop pestering me, stop hounding me and obsessing over me. I'm fine and will be fine with or without y'all surrounding me." I move my face out of his hands and step back, wrapping a dish towel around my cut hand. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to clean up before school starts."

Knox just nods his head, face as blank of emotion as I know mine is. "Fine. We leave in 20 minutes."

"No need to wait on me, I have another ride." I inform him, already heading towards the stairs.

"Harry?" He questions.

"Sierra." I answer.

I make it to the bathroom, slamming and locking the door behind me. I tear my clothes off as fast as I can, not caring that I'm smearing blood all over them. I crank the water as hot as it will go before stepping under and completely losing my shit again.

I tell myself this is the last break down I'm allowing myself to have, and after that, all pretenses are up and there's no going back.

I just wish my heart didn't feel like it had a huge empty, hollow hole in place of it now.