Chapter 37

Harry's POV

   I can't even believe I'm fucking here right now. When I moved here for my senior year, I never thought I'd be at my first funeral.

    But here I am.

    Everyone is wearing black and not a word has been spoken since the minister started talking. Everyone sits in stunned silence at what our life has really become. It's been a week since the shooting, and still, things don't seem real to me.

    Most nights I wake up in a panic, sweat pouring down my face and covering my body, and I'm sick to my stomach from watching Memphis being shot again.

    I see it all the time in my mind, like it's stuck on replay. Like it's an VCR tape and the film has got jammed somehow and it keeps just playing one single part over again. I wish like hell I could make it go away.

    Coming here today wasn't my choice, but my dad told me I needed to. Knox and Dickson didn't want to be here either, but they're sitting next to me with their Gram in between them. We all look out of place in these fancy black dress pants and button shirts.

    My dads on the other side of me, and he's dressed in his police uniform, having just got off from his shift in time to make it to the service.

     "Losing a life is never easy," the minister says, catching my attention. "But it always seems even harder when the life of the one who passed was young. There was still so much left to do, so many things left unsaid. All we can hope now is that they're at peace with God, and they no longer feel the burdens that we feel here on earth."

    Anger rises up in me, but I can't help it. I know it senseless to be mad at the dead, and probably even fucked up, but I can't make my heart or brain understand that.

     "Aiden Sanders was a troubled man, who lost his path in life when he let other people and issues cloud his judgement, but we can all hope together that he made things right in his heart and with God before he left us."

     "He can burn in fucking hell." Knox says, and not quietly. Gram reaches over and punches him on the arm discreetly, but also hard enough to know she means business.

    I have to purse my lips to keep the laugh from coming out, because I'm sure laughing at funerals is extremely frowned upon. But I can't help but agree with Knox, Aiden Sanders can burn in hell.

    He ended up killing 7 people and injuring 10, one of them being Memphis. My heart and soul.

    Those first 3 days after the hospital were so touch and go at first. She had internal bleeding obviously, and the bullet has caused one of her lungs to collapse, and it had just barely missed her heart. They took her into emergency surgery and we didn't hear anything from the doctors about her condition until nearly 10 hours later.

    Longest 10 hours of my fucking life. We didn't sleep a wink, Knox, Dickson and me.

    Memphis's Gram was there too, and strangely enough my dad had offered to watch Nash and Bristol for her so that she could be there at the hospital. They kept Memphis in a induced coma for two days after her surgery to let her body heal and her blood flow resume back to normal. She lost so much they ended up having to give her a transfusion.

Walking into that hospital room for the first time and seeing her so pale, with tubes and wires coming out of her in every direction, just felt so wrong. She was the strongest girl I knew, and seeing her like that nearly brought me to my knees.

Knox, Dickson, and I didn't leave her side the whole time, all three of us scared of missing anything. Like when she woke up or if something went wrong. When they pulled her out of the coma, she was almost inconsolable. Memphis had no memory at first of what had happened, so she didn't understand why she was in the hospital.