Chapter 27

Memphis POV

Why couldn't my life ever be simple? It was probably a question I had asked myself a thousand times. Just when things started to seem like they were getting better, BAM!

Something came and shot that right out of the fucking park.

I was currently driving my brothers car, with the slashed tires and baseball bat through the windshield. The car was limping through the street, and I could hear the metal of the rims scraping on the asphalt roads. I looked in the rear view mirror for what felt like the 10th time, seeing if Harry was really back there sitting next to Knox. Dickson was sitting up front next to me.

"What's the plan, Knox?" Dickson asks, opening the glove compartment and pulling out a pair of brass knuckles. I feel my heart sink into my chest, because Dickson isn't all the way healed from the last beating he took, is he really ready to engage in another one?

"We're going to the rink and I'm gonna talk with a couple guys, see what they think." Knox answers.

"Are you guys having any issues with rival gangs?" I ask, hoping we're not about to drive right into a gang war. I'm equipped for a lot of things, but shooting and knifing isn't exactly one of them.

"No more than usual." Knox says. "But this wasn't from another gang."

"How do you know?" Dickson asks, turning around in his seat to face the back.

"No gang member would go after a guys party at a public place like that. Especially when none of my brothers were there. This was more personal."

"You say that like you already know who did this." Dickson said.

"I do." Says Knox.

"Who?" I ask, feeling my hands tightening around the steering wheel.

"Principal Sanders." Harry says, looking at Knox.

Knox says nothing, which is answer enough. "Why would you come to that conclusion?" I ask, looking at all three of them, because Dickson doesn't seem that surprised by that answer, like Harry.

    "Did you already do something?" Dickson asks Knox, completely ignoring me.

    "A little of something, but not nearly all of what I had in mind." Knox answers.

    "Helloooo, is anyone going to tell me what is going on?" I ask again, but get ignored like I haven't even opened my mouth.

    "What'd you do?" Harry asks.

    "My guys figured out which friend he had that likes to come and watch my fights, and that apparently was the reason he felt like he could blackmail Memphis in the first place." Knox says, and silence fills the car.

    My brother isn't a bad person, to us and those he cares about. But to someone who has potentially caused harm or done something he didnt like? Your best bet is to stay as far away from him as you can.

    "What happened to him?" Dickson asks quietly, afraid of the answer like all of us were.

    "We sent out a clear message, thats all I'll say about it."

    "And you think this was his response to the message?" Dick asks.

    "Yeah, clearly the message wasn't strong enough. So look's like we'll go deliver one ourselves." Knox says.

    I slam on the brakes after that, tired of being ignored. The metal screeches on the road, making a god awful sound. We all lurch forward with the abrupt stop.