Chapter 39

Memphis POV

There's something to be said about how powerful a girl can feel with her hair and make up done, and wearing a killer dress with matching shoes. You give a girl the opportunity to present herself like that, and I can guarantee you she will feel like she can do anything.

I've always been a Tom boy, I grew up with four brothers, so I never really had the chance to be girly when I was little. Plus my Gram didn't have much money then, so most of the time I even wore passed down clothes that Knox couldn't fit in anymore. I never got picked on at school because my brothers would have killed someone, but I saw the looks I got from people. It wasn't normal for a 10 year old girl to wear cargo shorts and a WWE T-shirt with tennis shoes.

When I got a little older, I started caring about wearing boy clothes and started saving up some chore money to buy my own, but I still never bought dresses. I bought girl jeans and shirts instead, and still wore some kind of tennis shoe or slip on shoes. A couple years after that I started learning how to do my hair and minimal make up, but that's it. That's where the extend of my girly-ness ended.

    So to say I was completely lost on how to get ready for a formal school dance would be a complete understatement. I didn't even know where to begin. Where does one shop for a dress like that? How does one apply a contour and the correct eye brows? I had unending questions about this and was making my self sick with worry and nerves.

    So I called up the only friend I had who would know what to do during a time like this; Sierra.

     "Oh my gawd! Harry asked you to the dance? How romantic. Are you so excited?" She squealed in my ear after I told her what this phone call was about.

     "Yes, but you know me Sierra. I don't have the first clue about any of this stuff. Will you help me?"

     "Say less." She said, and 30 minutes later she was ringing my doorbell.

      She knew where my house was because of Knox, but this was the first time I had ever had a girl over for..me. I didn't do the whole friendship thing like normal people, so I was nervous when she came into my room for the first time.

     "Oh how cozy," she said while looking at my down comforter and the little window seat I had. "I love it. It's so you."

      "Thanks?" I said, unsure how to take that statement. "Okay, so what do we need to do?"

     "First things first, do you have a dress or shoes?"

     "No."

     "Do you have a certain color or style that you like?"

      "No."

      "Hair, nails, and a make up appointment?"

      "No, no and no." I sighed, already feeling defeated and the girl had only been here ten minutes. "I have absolutely nothing Sierra and have no clue how to even begin to fix any of it."

     "Not true, you have me. And I'm an expert." She stood up off my bed and extended a manicured hand for me to grab. "Cmon, lets go get some money for Knox and get this day started."

     I said nothing as she pulled me down the stairs and we found my brothers all in the living room playing some video game on the TV.

     "Knoxville." Sierra said.

     "Hey, Si Si. What's up?" He said glancing over at her every few seconds in between his game.

     "Your sister is in dire need of my help to prepare for the homecoming dance next week. And we needs the funds to pay for all her things." Sierra said, not at all worried about asking my brother for money.