Chapter 15

Memphis POV

Something nudges my leg, causing me to stir out of my slumber, but I'm too tired to even attempt to open my eyes and see what it is. I feel the nudge again, and this time I nudge back, hoping to push away whatever the pest is. I'm sleeping good, knowing that smoking all that weed last night would put me into a deep slumber when I finally succumbed.

Then a nice, hard, smack! hits my leg, and I shoot up from my sleeping position. When I see that it's Knox, I'm ready to ream him a new one for waking me up from such a nice sleep. Then I realize I'm outside and feel a little confused.

Memories from last night and meeting Harry out here come to the surface and I look over quickly, and find him sleeping on the park table next to me. I look back at Knox, wondering how the hell he knew to find us here. I'm hoping like hell there isn't a guilty look on my face.

"Went to wake you up for school and couldn't find you." He says, making it a point to eye the boy next to me. He hides whatever he's feeling off his face though, always keeping the blank mask in place.

I realize then that the sun is shining brightly in the sky and I know without a doubt we're late for school. It's usually barely light outside by the time we leave.

"He had questions." I tell him, sitting up the rest of the way and try to rub out the awful kink I now I have in my neck from sleeping on a godforsaken wood table.

"And did you give him answers?"

"Yes."

Knox shoves his hands in his pockets and rocks back and forth on his feet. "Do you think that was wise?" His tone is a little clipped, the only sign showing he's not happy with my decision.

"Do you really think I had any other choice?"

"You always have a choice." He says, knowing that if I don't want to do something, I don't do it.

"I trust him." I look down at a sleeping Harry and can't help the warm feeling that inflates in my chest. Last night he listened so intently to everything I said, and there was never any kind of judgement in his eyes. Our story is not a fairy tale by any means, it has a lot of messed up details, but he never treated me as if he pitied me or despised me for what I came from.

"I think I do too." Knox says, surprising him and I both. "He didn't ask any questions about what was going on. He just jumped in and helped me fight, and made sure no one else touched D."

"So what are you saying?" I ask, unable to mask the hope from my voice.

Knox won't look at me for a while, then finally relents, shaking his head and looking at us. "I'm saying, get up and get dressed. We all need to talk."

Then he walks off and continues up the road to our houses. I run my fingers through my hair, hoping to tame some of the mess before I wake Harry up and he realizes I look like a troll first thing in the mornings.

"Harry," I say softly and start shaking his shoulder. "Wake up, we fell asleep."

He opens his bloodshot eyes and looks just as confused as I did when I first woke up and wondered why the hell I was outside. He sits up quickly though, looking around. His disheveled hair makes me giggle.

"Shit, we fell asleep." He states, rubbing the sleep away from his eyes.

I giggle again, unable to help it at the adorable way he's repeating what I just said. "Yeah, we did. Are you going to be in trouble?" I ask, not sure how happy the Sheriff would be if he knew his son didn't come home last night because he was out with the troublesome girl who lives across the street.