Chapter 20

Memphis POV

Things were weird at home, to say the least.

Knox and Dickson were walking around me like they were on eggshells, all quiet and gentle, like I was fragile. Nash and Bristol were acting the same way, because they picked up on how Dick and Knox were being. And of course, Gram did too.

I thought she might fall over and have a heart attack the first time she saw Knox grab my plate off the dinner table and put it in the sink for me. Dickson and Knox both were hardly letting me do anything, and Dickson was still the injured one. Gram's intuitive eyes followed our every move, and I know she was listening extra hard, but the three of us were smart enough not to say anything in front of her or the other two, knowing it would just cause more chaos if we did.

Finally when I had enough with their overbearing asses, I woke up one morning and decided to go for a run without telling them I was leaving. I left my phone and everything at home, wanting no distractions or interruptions for the hour I would probably get before they all came looking for me. They acted as if they were scared Principal Sanders was going to come and snatch me up out of my bed at night. But I needed this.

When I was running, my mind soared. These days, it was mainly centered around Harry. The muse for all my thoughts lately. But there were other thoughts too, ones that I kinda liked to think about when I was alone.

I thought about everything between me and Principal Sanders and how much better I could have handled that situation. I know I should have went to my brothers, or anyone older than me. I think I was just so scared of losing them or my mom coming back and ruining things, that I would have fell for just about anything. There wasn't a thing in this world I wouldn't do to protect them, even Knox. Though some days he is the reason for my worst headaches. The thought of getting out of here was still never far from my mind, but it wasn't as detrimental as it was before. The urge to flee and never come back didn't taste so strong anymore.

And I think that had a lot to do with my green eyed neighbor who looked sexy as sin driving a motorcycle. Harry and I had been joined at the hip this last week, even more than my brothers. But they were around us a lot too, and I couldn't deny how happy it made me to see all of them laughing and joking together, taking to each other so much easier than I could have ever expected. Gram was ecstatic too. Anytime we touched, she looked like she may pass out from the pure joy of it.

His dad on the other hand..not so much. Harry was always careful to be back home before his dad was there, knowing he would have an issue with his son spending so much time with the delinquents next door.

And speak of the devil, as I'm running back up the road towards my house, I see Sheriff Styles pulling some envelopes from their black rusted mailbox that lines the street like all the rest. I throw my hand up to give a small wave, not wanting to be rude but not wanting to really talk to him either. My alone time was almost up, I didn't want to waste any of it.

Too bad he didn't have the same idea in mind.

"Memphis, you got a minute?" He asks, cop voice completely activated, arms folded in front of him.

I slowed my jog down, and came to a stop in front of him, but not too close. "Sure, Mr. Scott, what's up?"

"My son, what are your intentions with him?" He asks.

"I'm not sure what you mean?" I didn't think he wanted all the details, might make him a little squeamish.

"Harry is a good kid, makes good grades, never been in any kind of serious trouble a day in his life. I don't want some high school fling to mess that up."