Chapter 17

Memphis POV

     After riding around with Harry for a few hours on the back of his bike, he dropped me off at home and went inside his house. We went absolutely nowhere, no destination in mind and I had the best time not worrying about a single damn thing.

     But reality clicked back into place when I came up the stairs and opened the door to Dickson's room. The pills I had laid out for him were gone, as was the glass of water. I grabbed the empty cup and went and refilled it before climbing under the covers and laying beside him.

     He stirred awake but didn't say anything as he saw me laying beside him. I tried to not flinch at the swolleness of his face, and grabbed the remote instead and turned on a Netflix show. We watched the show wordlessly, and when it had been long enough since he'd last had medicine, I went downstairs and grabbed him some more, and an ice pack to put on his face.

     Or his ribs, whichever place he needed it more.

Knox texted to let me know he'd pick Bristol and Nash up from school, and that was it. Didn't give anymore details and didn't ask for any on my end. All I can hope is that he came in and checked on Dick like I did this morning, least he could do after the situation he got us into.

    When it was getting close to afternoon time when Gram would be getting off from her morning shift, I could tell Dickson was started to get nervous. Every couple of minutes he would peek a look out the window to check the driveway.

     "What are you going to tell her?" I finally ask, unable to deal with the silence for any longer.

     He sighs heavily. "I have no idea. But knowing Gram, I probably won't have to say anything. She'll just know."

     "You're right about that." Gram didn't say much about it anymore, but she knew Knox was into stuff that wasn't legal. And she knew there were times Dickson and I went and did things with him that we had no business doing.

      It wasn't but about 30 minutes later, and I heard Grams old car pull into the driveway. If possible, Dickson's face seemed to go even whiter than it was before. Not wanting him to worry himself too much, I placed my hand on the top of his that was laying over the blankets we were tucked under.

    "It'll be alright." I try to comfort him.

     "One of these days Memph's, Gram is going to keel over and have a heart attack because of all the bullshit we put her through." He says back.

I say nothing in return, because he's right. My Gram doesn't deserve to have to take care of the five of us, much less put up with our shenanigans. If my Pops was still alive he'd beat all of us within an inch of our life for acting this way, and we'd deserve it.

The front door closes and I can hear the telling sounds of my Grams footsteps, by the obvious thud she makes with her limp. Not long after, her footsteps are heard coming up the steps, and Dickson's hand clenches into a fist underneath mine in anticipation.

She checks a couple of the other rooms first before finding us in here.

"Where's everyone el-" She stops mid sentence when notices Dickson's face. She doesn't say anything, but she doesn't have to. The look on her face is enough for us to know how she feels about it.

"This why I got a call from the school today informing me that three out of the five of you didn't show up today?" She questions.

"Yes ma'am." We say in unison.

"Where's Knox and the other two?"

"Knox went and did a couple of things, and he's picking them up from school."