Chapter13

Say Hello to Knox 😉

Memphis POV

   I'm laying on my bed with my feet crossed at the ankles, textbook open in front of me. The music coming out of Nash's room filters into mine, and I find myself nodding along to the beat of whatever indie band he's obsessed with this week.

   After my argument with Harry in the hallway, I decided to leave, not wanting to spend the remainder of the day keeping up with false pretenses. My hands ached, but that type of punishment I was used to. What I wasn't used to was having someone, Harry, seem disappointed in me for decisions I was making. Decisions I never had to face because they never left the office of Principal Sanders.

   And then practically kissing me in the hallway, and having his body shoved up against mine on the lockers? How the hell could I be expected to go to class and pretend as if I'm really interested in math?

    On my way out of school, Nash saw me and wanted to know why I was leaving, and when I couldn't tell him the truth, I told him I was just in the mood to skip the rest of the day. He decided to tag along, declaring he already knew everything in class and didn't need to be present. Oh well. I had more important things to think about than worrying about my little brother skipping half a day of school.

    I'm catching up on my homework and classwork that I'm sure I missed today, when I finally heard the rumble of Knox's car engine pulling into our driveway. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been turning and looking towards my window, purposely waiting to hear the roar of a motorcycle pulling into the driveway across the street. I couldn't help myself, my thoughts never straying too far from him, which is probably why I have been rereading the same math problem for the last twenty minutes now, unable to focus.

    I hear the car door slams, and don't think anything of it until I hear their raised voices, muffled by the walls of the house. But it sounds like they're calling for someone, loudly. I get up off my bed and walk to my door, seeing Nash standing at his as well, obviously hearing the same things that I am.

   "What are they saying?" He asks.

   "Who knows." I answer, with a roll of my eyes, guessing this is some kind of joke or they're horsing around with each other. The amount of physical fights and screaming matches that take place in this house is probably well above average when compared to others.

    We make it to the bottom of the staircase, Bristol is rushing through the door, frantically searching with his eyes. When they land us me and Nash, he looks a little relieved, but barely. "Nash, call Doc and tell him to get here now! Dickson needs him. Memphis, come in the garage." He takes off in the direction of the downstairs bathroom after barking out his orders.

    Nash and I waste no time though doing what he says, knowing by the sound of his voice and the need for Doc that this isn't good. I open up in the garage door and nearly lose my footing when I see what Dickson's face looks like. He's being completely held up by Harry and Knox, who both have blood coming out of their faces too, but nowhere near as bad as Dickson.

    "What the hell happened?!" I yell as I make my way over to them, I reach my hands out to touch my brother, but let them hover there, not knowing where I can place my hands without causing him more pain. "We need to get him laid down, take him over there towards the carpet while I grab some towels."

    After grabbing towels from the many shelves that line the garage walls, they lay Dickson down on the plush carpet cut out, and I prop his head up on a rolled up towel to help support his neck. Bristol and Nash both come in at the same time, and Nash exclaims his worry the same way I did when he see's the shape that D is in.