Part 16

"Lina you OK?" Anthony asked me and I nodded my head yes, keeping my eyes on the book I had open. It was the middle of the day and he still hadn't left the house. Any other time he would be gone by the crack of dawn. Now, when I needed him to skedaddle he was hangin' around. I wanted to know what Gray had found out! 

"Alright, I gotta make some runs but I will be back in a few hours. Call me if you need anything." he informed me, it was about damn time. 

"I will." I replied shortly, turning the page as if I was really reading. I heard him walk down the stairs and out the door. I didn't even wait to hear him pull out of the driveway before I picked up my phone an dialed Gray, he picked up on the first ring.

"Can you meet me?" he asked without saying hello.

"He just left, I can meet you at the coffee shop."

"Lina, you need to meet me at my house. After I tell you what I know you won't want to go back." he replied solemnly and it gave me butterflies. What was really going on?

"Gray I can't come to your house I have to stay close just in case he comes back-"

"Listen, that wasn't a suggestion. Come to the crib if you want the information. 4823 Linden Avenue." Gray snapped and clicked off the line. I stared at my phone in disbelief, he had never been that short with me. Something was definitely up and I was eager to find out. I hopped out the bed and grabbed my car keys and wallet. If Anthony showed back up to the house before me I would just have to come up with a lie. I mapped Gray's address and even though it said it was a thirty minute drive, I got there in fifteen. The neighborhood was nice, and although he was a cop I knew his salary didn't cover these expenses. Pulling into his driveway, his lawn was perfectly manicured and the two story home was made with solid brick. I parked my car and eased out the seat, I was nervous wondering what could have him so shook up. I was raising my hand to ring the doorbell when the front door swung open. Gray was there in a pair a sweatpants and a tank top. I couldn't help but give him a once over and smile. He was built, not too buff and his skin looked smooth as silk. When I looked in his face his eyes were red and it looked like he hadn't slept, he wasn't smiling at all. He stepped to the side and let me in, his house was well decorated. The tribal art he had on his walls matched his furniture perfectly, every thing was top-notch. 

"You good?" I asked him, sitting down on his leather couch. I looked down at his coffee table, it was filled with paperwork and some photos were buried underneath them. His laptop had multiple windows open. He looked like he had been studying for a final exam. "What's all this?" I pointed to the paperwork. 

"Lina, how long have you been dating him?" Gray questioned, he walked into the kitchen and I heard him grab a glass, I looked over at him and he was filling it to the top with Cognac. I was kind of disappointed that he liked to drink.

"Since I was sixteen, about four years now." I answered as he came back and sat next to me. He saw me eyeing the glass

"This isn't a daily thing, only when I'm dealing with some heavy shit." Gray explained

"I'm assuming you found out some heavy shit then?"

"What do you know about his past?"

"Nothing really,  he obviously lied about his folks."

"Do you know about any past relationships?" he quizzed. I thought back on it and realized I had never asked about any exes, I hadn't really cared to. I knew about those times Anthony was "working late" and "taking trips"

"Naw, we never talked about that. There was a point in time when I thought he was cheating though." I answered and Gray paused, took a sip of his drink and grabbed a piece of paper.