PART 28

*Tap...Tap...Tap...*

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block out the sound. I was bundled underneath the thick comforter on Gray's guest bed. I hadn't had a good nights sleep like this in a minute. The tapping continued and I lifted my head from under the covers. My eyes took a few seconds to adjust to the light. The tapping was coming from the door.

"Yeah?" I called out sleepily, stretching.

"Meeting with Evans at 11." Gray muffled voice came through and I sat upright. I hoped he didn't walk in on me, I looked crazy as hell! For all you little nasties wondering if we had sex, we DIDN'T! I didn't know Gray from a can of paint, not to mention I was only going on 3 weeks post-partum. My pussy wasn't even ready to take no dick. I reached over to the night stand and looked at my screen, it was only 9 am.

"I'll be in out in about thirty." I responded, kicking the comforter back.

"No rush, just wanted to give you enough time to get ready." he answered and I could hear his footsteps retreating down the hallway, then his room door closed. Thankfully the guest room had a small bathroom, I was able to freshen up properly in. The hot water running down my body was rejuvenating. A couple weeks ago I could give a damn about my appearance, but today something felt different. A little of it had to do with wanting to look nice while being around Gray. Our conversation last night trumped over the comedy I intended to watch. He was more interesting than I expected, and it was a relief to hear about someone else's life since my own wasn't in the best shape. He had inherited the house through his maternal grandparents after they passed away. He said they never fucked with his mom after she ran away with his dad, but they always looked out for their grandson. They had a trust fund set up in his name, but refused to let him touch it until he turned 18. They made sure his mom wasn't on the paperwork so she had no control. The actual plan was for his mom to be alive when he got the house and the cash, so they could run away together; but his pops made sure it didn't happen. Two years after Gray's mother passed; within nine months of each other, so did his grandparents . He had a home in his name, a lump-some of money; and a dead mother. It was heart-breaking in a way because Gray seemed like such a good person, he didn't deserve that kind of trauma. He seemed to be getting emotional about it so he switched the subject to the fact that the D.A. position would be opening up, and he had been meeting with all the right people so he felt like he had a fair chance on actually getting it. For a brief second I pictured myself dating a D.A. but he took me out of my thoughts when he asked me what my plans were after the case closed. I told him all I wanted to do was move on with my life. I kept to myself that I was jumping ship, that wasn't his business to know. After our conversation ended we went our separate ways, he was a real gentleman he wasn't trying to make no moves; I did know we were feeling each other though.

I stepped out the shower, letting the excess water run down my skin. I pulled my pile of curls and wrapped them in a top-knot bun. I stared at myself in the mirror, my gold locket sitting on my chest brought a smile to my face. I don't know if carrying my daughter with me was the reason I felt better or what. Seemed like I hadn't had a nightmare since I started wearing the necklace, I was appreciative of that. I wanted to cry for her, yet I knew it would change nothing so I didn't. In that moment of weakness an idea came to my head and a small grin hit my lips. I knew how I could make myself feel a little better about my loss. After a few moments I pulled myself out my thoughts to continue getting dressed. After washing my face and brushing my teeth, I coated myself with a sweet smelling oil that I knew would linger under Gray's nostrils in the most pleasant way then I questioned myself why I was thinking like that. Mixing business with pleasure, once again.

"At least put the first nigga in jail before you worry about the next." I told myself as I made my way back into the bedroom. I slipped into a boyfriend tee, and a pair of ripped jeans that hugged me in all the right places. It wasn't my usual designer drip, but since I needed to look the part of 'damsel in distress' I couldn't be walking around in Gucci; although I couldn't refrain from accenting my wrist with a gold watch. I checked my phone, it was only ten. I opened the room door and strolled down the hallway, when I entered the living room I could smell bacon. The TV was broadcasting 'Queen of the South' but Gray wasn't on the couch. Before I could get to the kitchen he walked out, two plates in his hands.