Part 34

WEDNESDAY MORNING

I was stepping quickly as I made my way towards the office. My mind had been working overtime the past forty-eight hours. Evans was consistently blowing me up about meeting in the evening after work to prepare my statements and emotions for the stand, but I had been trying to connect the dots with Gray. After his clothes matched the description Janice gave me and the folder was in his home office things got tricky. The following day after I found the folder I went to work and I accessed the records room myself while everyone was on lunch. I went through every letter in the alphabet and couldn't find anything on Anthony. None of my records or the drug evidence Gray claimed to have. I couldn't figure out what was going on since he still acted the same. He left no room for suspicion, so I played along with the act, but last night when Gray was out, I went back into the room to look through the folder and it was gone. I felt like my time was ticking and not in my favor. What possible reason could he have for holding on to that information? I was under the impression we were using the drug charges added to my own charges so Anthony would be under a jail. I still hadn't mentioned anything to Knowle, knowing that him and Gray were somewhat cool, kept me from opening my mouth. I felt like I was all alone in this situation, and I didn't know who to trust. I just wanted it to be over. The condo that I had my eye on finally got approved, but move in wasn't set out until two more weeks, meaning I had to stay where I was at a lil while longer.  My real desire was to skip town and trial but that would defeat the entire purpose. The only way I would feel safe and the only way I would feel like I avenged my daughter's death was if Anthony was in prison looking at football numbers with no chance of parole; so I had to stay. And if I wanted answers, I needed to keep playing like I was clueless. I walked through the doors of my office and turned left to go to security. 

"Good morning Gerald." I greeted the head security guard with a smile and he returned it. 

"Hey Lina, congratulations on the promotion. Miss seeing you down here." he said. 

"Thank you." I replied, ignoring the last half of his statement, then lowered my voice "Can I talk to you in private?" I asked and he nodded, leading me into a small office. 

"What can I help you with?" he questioned, leaning against the door. 

"Are there cameras in the hallways down by the record rooms?" I asked immediately, I didn't have time to beat around the bush. 

"Yes...is there a problem with them?" he questioned

"Not that I'm aware of, I was told about someone who wasn't authorized to be down there Monday and I would like to look at the cameras to see who it was."

"Lina, accessing the facility cameras requires permission from a higher up."

"I'm the supervisor of that area Gerald." 

"I need permission from someone a little higher than that." he admitted "Have you spoke with your manager about it?" he asked me and I was going to say no, then I stopped myself to reply 

"I did, that's why I came down here. He told me I would be able to see them myself. He has a-meeting so he wasn't able to come down." I rattled off the lie hoping Gerald wouldn't question me further. He took a minute, then he sighed and shrugged his shoulders. 

"Come by after lunch, I should be able to have them pulled up by then." he told me and I wanted to clap my hands. This lying shit was getting easier and easier. I thanked him again and walked out of the office with more pep in my step. If my assumptions were correct and it was Gray in that hallway; he had some mutha fuckin' explaining to do. As I was approaching my office, Knowle was rushing towards me with a folder in his hand.