Lesson Forty-One

Lesson Forty-One - This Is Your Time.

Looking around Riker's car I took it all in. Leather seats and every high-tech button and gadget you could imagine. I also wasn't stupid I knew that there was guns in this car but I just couldn't see were. You didn't get in the car of a future Mafia leader and think that he wasn't armed in some way. It was clear the car was custom-made and I'm sure that was one of things that were sure to be put into it.

"You sure do like your cars."

I looked over to see that Riker was watching me carefully from the corner of his eye. The whole threatening match that we had going on not that long ago clearly forgotten about. It was good to know that he didn't hold on to things for long. He was always moving on to the next situation at hand the old ones long forgotten about. It was something that I respected about him.

"It's my peace away from the life I live. I'll never have a quiet life until the day I die. Working around cars is as close to that peace as I can get. They can't take back and they are far easier to work out than most people. Plus they can't lie. They either work or don't there is no in between."

Riker nodded his eyes fixed back on the road. "I get that. It's why I like hanging out at the club house. Yes I'm still surrounded by the life I was born into but it's as close to a break as I can get. Plus I know I can protect the people best from inside there."

I scoffed looking out the window. "It got shot at if you don't remember."

"Yea by your ex boyfriend." I could hear the harshness in his tone as he spoke. Him and Zane never had a good relationship. Before our two schools were put together they were always at each others throats. I can't remember how many times I heard Zane curse Riker's up and down. Now here I was friends with my ex boyfriends enemy and frankly I probably liked his company more than I ever did Zane's.

"Zane always did stupid shit. You could say I was his brain when we were going out. Don't you think it was weird that he caused more problems for you when we were together than when we were broken up."

A smirk crossed Riker's face as he seemed to think about it. He knew I was right when he thought about it. It wasn't a big secret anyway even the people that worked for him knew it. I was more born for that life than he ever was. That's probably way his parents were more upset when we broke up than the two of us were.

"No he didn't cause shit when you broke up because he wasn't even in the country to do anything. His dad kept his head down along with the rest of them."

"He left the country not because we broke up that was nothing but an act.He left because he knew the heat would be on his ass more and he wouldn't have my brain or my money to fix it. So he left until it all blew over."

Riker didn't look at all surprised. "Can't say I blame him. I wouldn't want to get on your bad side and I'm from one of the biggest Mafia's in the country."

There was a moment of silence between us before I felt a hand on my thigh. Looking down I seen Riker's tattoos on his arms and he didn't make any move to move his hand. It was weirdly comforting and that wasn't a feeling I was used to. For a moment I let all the worry about my mom and all the troubles come to my life just be forgotten about. I was safe around Riker as much as I hated to admit it and not the way you thought. I didn't need him to protect me in anyway. I didn't need anyone for that, what I needed was someone I could count on and not stab me in the back and I felt like Riker would never do that as much as we argued or didn't get on . Also I didn't have to be the smartest person in the room around him. I could rely on him to get things done as well and not run away when it got bad.