Chapter 6

Don't forget to like and leave a comment!

|| Chapter 6 ||

"Contain!" I barely manage to yell as the soccer ball flies to the other side of the field. I pull up the hem of my shirt and wipe the sweat and dirt off my face, no doubt flashing my sports bra at the crowd of spectators, as the early summer sun beats down on us. Alyssa sprints up the right field and dribbles the ball, passing it to Kendall.

"Doing okay, Tess?" Mara, our team's goalie, asks. I give her a thumbs up, breathing too heavily to voice an actual reply. I rest my hands on my hips, taking deep breaths after the major defending I just had to do before our opponents could score a goal.

A whistle blows and I look up as Kendall kicks the ground angrily while our opponent picks up the ball with a smirk on her face. Alyssa grabs Kendall's shoulder and pulls her away from the other player. The rival player throws the ball in the air. Kendall sprints after it, determination rippling her body as she battles for the ball with a rival player. She manages to fake a kick, dribbling the ball up the field and kicks the ball straight towards the goal.

"Come on, come on," I mutter to myself as it soars into the top left corner of the goal. I throw my arms up in the air and run towards Kendall.

Alyssa is already hugging her when I crash into them, knocking us over. "Okay, okay get off me," Kendall giggles, pushing us off of her.

"Good job, Kenny," Yara, our midfielder pats her back as everyone starts taking positions again.

"Ten more minutes. We're in the lead, let's kick some ass!" I yell to my players as I walk back over to my spot in front of the goalie.

I look up at the bleachers where my siblings are sitting with my friends. Charlotte and Olivia are standing, waving their hands in the air trying to get my attention. Drew, Mateo, Benji and Liam are trying to get the small crowd to do the Mexican wave with little success. Maddie is sitting with Mia, Nathan's seven year-old niece, gesturing around deep in conversation. Mom and dad both had to wor this morning, even though this game has been in their calendars for weeks. Shit happens.

The next eight minutes are intense with the ball spending most of the time on our side of the field. I've got grass stains all over my back from taking a hard fall after one of the players 'accidentally' kicked me in the chest claiming that she was aiming for the ball.

Harper boots the ball and we're not fast enough to stop it from going out of bounds right by our goal. I grumble to myself and run to the edge of the semi-circle, gearing myself up for the fight I'm going to have to put up for the next minute if we don't get overtime.

Alyssa stops next to me, panting, "I think I'm dying," she rasps, checking her pulse and looking at her wrist, where a watch should be. "Is it supposed to hurt like this?" She squints up at the sun, taking a deep breath.

I roll my eyes, "One more minute, Lys, then you can die quietly." She gives me a thumbs up and runs back into position.

"Give 'em hell, Tess!" I hear someone yell from the bleachers and I don't look up to see who it was so that I have no distractions.

The rival player death glares at me. Her platnium blonde bangs fall over her face and she pushes them back roughly. She holds the ball in her hand and scowls. I raise my eyebrow with a smirk, egging her on silently. She grips the ball tighter and I lift my chin in a 'come at me bro' gesture. She scrunches her nose and she yells something in Spanish at one of her teammates. I curse my freshman self for choosing to take French in high school instead of Spanish. Her teammate runs and stands behind me, trying to put some tactic into play.