Chapter 32

Okay so make sure you're reading this chapter before the next two because I'm posting them all at once!!

As per usual, I am replying to any comment posted in the next 3 days! I love to see all of your reactions!

Enjoy!

|| Chapter 32 ||

It's one week before Drew and everyone has to leave for college and two weeks before my senior year of high school starts. Still no word from him. My siblings have spent the last few days hanging out with their hometown friends one last time before having to leave for the fall semester. Maddie is getting quieter the closer the time comes.

Harry is back in San Francisco with Natalie, back at work, doing his best. Apparently the only time he can come back is Thanksgiving because he's still a new employee who took his personal days already when he came back to see me.

The house is empty. Mom and dad are at work, Maddie is at a friends birthday party and the others went out a while ago and I have no idea where they went.

I decide that rather than sitting here doing nothing I could take my skateboard and ride around the neighborhood for a while. I change into a pair of grey sweatpants and a tight sleeveless cream crop top and grab a small backpack to fit all my necessary things inside. My skateboard is in the garage so I make sure the front door is locked before heading out by the garage and closing the garage door behind me.

The walk down my driveway is refreshing as I take in the trees around me. Mom has always wanted the house to feel private and secluded from our neighbors, which is why we live on a hill and have trees all the way down to the street.

Once I'm on the sidewalk I place my skateboard on the ground and push off, gliding down the street. There's few children in the neighborhood playing, you can find most of them down at the Hill Street playground where the skate park is located. As soon as I exit the dead end street my house is on, a black car drives past me.

I stop the skateboard and turn my head back to see the vintage black convertible turn onto a different street. My eyebrows furrow but one blink and there's no sign of the car. I push off down the sidewalk again and roll for a few seconds, not fully paying attention to my surroundings. It's only when I see the convertible again that I put my foot down at stare at the car.

The black convertible slows down next to me and I see the hazard lights flicker on. Drew opens his door and climbs out of the car. I stand quietly, my board in hand. "Hi," he says, waving a hand awkwardly.

"Hey," I offer back just as awkward. Even though I haven't seen him in a few weeks he hasn't changed a bit. The only noticeable difference is that his hair is a lot shorter now. "How have you been?"

He runs a nervous hand through his shirt hair, "I've been good. I spent some time in Arizona with my dad."

That explains the short hair.

"Oh, that's great," there's a long pause of silence, "how is he?"

He gives me a lopsided grin, removing his aviator sunglasses off his face. "Still a prick."

A laugh leaves my mouth. "I'm shocked," I reply sarcastically. "What-uh. What are you doing here?"

He moves to stand on the sidewalk, closing his car door but leaves the engine running. "Was working up the nerve to come see you."

I kick up my skateboard and grab the one end of it, holding it with one arm. "You were?"

"I got home last night and the first thing I wanted to do was see you," he shrugs, giving me a small smile. I raise an eyebrow. "And you know, I've been thinking... that I would much rather prefer you as a friend than nothing at all."