Chapter 17

Don't forget to like and leave a comment!!

|| Chapter 17 ||

I hate the beach. The fact that it's supposedly 'refreshing' sitting in a pile of dirt for the day and getting saltwater all over you, is a lie. Don't get me wrong, the beach can be fun but its those moments when you're packing up and there's just sand everywhere, you feel sticky and gross from the saltwater-sunscreen mix and you have sand in places where sand should never be, that ruins the rest of your day.

The whole family decided to come out for the beach day with my friends. I'm sitting next to Alyssa and Kendall who are both lying on their stomachs, trying to tan, when a bunch of sand smacks me in the face.

"Boy, if you don't stop throwing sand in my face I will kill you in your sleep," I threaten Sebastian who is too busy digging a hole with Maddie to pay attention to my threats. Natalie, Harry's girlfriend looks at me, alarmed.

"Took that a little too far, Hun," my mother replies from behind me where she's sitting with my dad under the umbrella he set up for them. She's got a big black floppy hat on with matching sunglasses while she's reading a book. My father is sitting next to her with his swim trunks on and a white button-up on.

I stand up, grumbling to myself and dust the sand off of myself as best as I can. "Yo Tess!" Jesse, Drew's best friend, calls my name from the shore where all the guys (Isaac, Mateo, Benji) are standing around throwing a football to each other. Drew has his aviator sunglasses on, hiding the black eye he got from the fight last night as he throws the football in my direction. I plant my feet in the sand and catch the football before jogging over to them, the whole moment brings me back to the first time I went to the beach with Drew after my sister and her friends had finished their finals.

*Flashback*

"Why do you keep ruining my fun?" I growl at Drew, who had just caught the football I threw in the hopes of hitting Sebastian.

Alyssa leans in next to me, "Maybe you just don't like having competition for once." Charlotte and her friends chuckle behind me, causing my to tightens my hands around my backpack.

"Okay no, you are way off," I tell her with a flat look, shutting down her thought process.

"But is she?" Olivia asks slyly, coming up and nudging me in the ribs.

I clench my jaw and drop my stuff on the sand, leaving it there as I walk away from everyone. They yell to get me to come back but I ignore them and keep walking. I stop when I hit the rocky area that has all the little tide pools and bend down to inspect what's in them, trying to distract myself.

"Tess?"

"What do you want?" A sigh escapes my lips, this is the last person that should come after me right now. "You coming after me is going to make them talk."

"I figured, Alyssa seemed a little too happy to send me after you," he chuckles, coming to a stop next to me. We stand next to each other in silence for a few moments watching the waves.

"You know, it's really annoying having you as a friend." A little crab sticks his head out of the water and I watch him wander on the rocks before slipping into another tide pool.

"Yeah, why's that?" He sounds amused.

"Because, ever since you showed up, they're a lot more interested in my life now, it's exhausting," I pick up a rock and weigh it in each hand before throwing it as far as I can into the oncoming waves.

"Oh yeah?" He asks, picking up his own rock and throwing it a inch farther than mine. I hold in the urge to grumble out loud. "You sure it's not because you're no longer the sporty one in the group?"