Chapter 9

Don't forget to leave a like and comment! I love to hear from you all!

** For everyone upset about Isaac trying to get 'close' to Tess, I never said that he was a love interest for her

|| Chapter 9 ||

We're sitting on the front steps of the school under the overhang, to shield us from the rain. His hair is still damp from his shower and he's wringing his hands together, letting his thoughts get to him.

"I'm sor-"

I raise a hand, cutting off his apology, "-It's cool. I overreacted."

He tilts his head, leaning back on his hands, "Tess, I know why you reacted that way, okay? I'm not in the dark on your feelings, I get it."

I rest my elbow on my knee, resting my head in my hand and stare out at the rain, watching droplets splash against the soft top of Drew's convertible. He doesn't say anything. He just keeps his hands laid out behind him, stretching his legs out along the next couple of steps. "You know my dad still doesn't care how many sports I do to show him how good I am?" I ask rhetorically, interrupting the silence between us. "I work so fucking hard when it comes to sports and athletics to get the approval that's always been reserved for Harry and Bass or even Lottie, and I just get looked over. It pisses me off." I look back over at him, "I do not put in the amount of hard work and dedication in my athletics to have you 'fumble' the ball in gym class. That just makes me look even more pathetic, like you don't think that I even had a chance so let's give me a boost. I don't need it, so don't do it. I deserve better than that." I take a deep breath trying to think of the last time that I actually let my emotions lead a conversation.

"I know you do," he says softly, shuffling closer to me. "And I won't do it again, okay? I'm sorry for making you feel that way."

I nod my head. That's a good enough apology for me. Heart-to-hearts make me uncomfortable, especially when emotions are involved.

"And what's going on with you and Brianna? Because that whole situation is giving me a headache."

He lets out a little chuckle, fidgeting. "We're not getting back together or anything, she's just helping me with a situation."

I sit up more alert, "Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

He looks over at me with a grin, "I'm all good Tess, just emotional talks." He winks, nudging me, "And I know how much you love those."

I scrunch my nose in disgust, "Yeah no, have at it, she can take one for the team."

"I did date her for almost two years, we still understand each other," he shrugs, placing his hands on his knees, knocking them together lightly.

"I mean, she dumped your ass so hard, I'm just surprised is all."

He raises an eyebrow, "Gee, thanks for that reminder Joy Killer."

I let out a loud laugh, shoving him over. "You're welcome." I slap my legs as I stand up, brushing the dirt off the back of my jean shorts. "You still coming over tonight to watch Stranger Things?"

His toothy grin is enough of an answer for me, "Never miss it, I have to hit the ring to train for a bit tonight, Mikey will kill me if I don't show my face. Need a ride?"

I hoist my backpack over my shoulder, staring at the mini monsoon happening in the school parking lot, "Nah, I'll just walk."

He balks at me in shocked confusion. "Tess, this weath-."

"Are you serious? Of course I'm hitching a ride, look at this rain," I laugh, standing on the last step before the awning ends and the rain begins.

He shakes his head lightly, letting his shaggy hair fall into his eyes. "You're a pain in my ass, Hayes."