Chapter 19

Fair warning, don't hate me.

I really want to see your comments on this one, it's important! Love you all!

|| Chapter 19 ||

Breakfast is a loud affair on weekends during the summer. Mom and dad are usually home and now that everyone is home, Girls Brunch is on again in the family. This Saturday it's Mom, Charlotte, Olivia, Quinn, Courtney, Sophie, Maddie and myself that are piled into the car on top of each other as we cruise down the street to Brenna's Café. Harry and Natalie left early this morning but promised to be back for the big fourth of July barbeque that my family throws every year so that is something to look forward to. Maddie seemed to have warmed up to Natalie by the one-armed hug she gave her as she was leaving and Natalie finally understood my personal bubble and left me with a high-five instead of a hug.

Brenna's Café is a personal favorite of my mom's. When my parents first moved out here after they had graduated from college, my dad had a job already set up at a high profile law firm before he graduated but my mom still had to finish medical school. So, she decided to move with my dad and get her PhD here in California instead of New York, where they're both from. Since she didn't have a lot of money, no matter how much my dad racked in, she got a job at Brenna's and she's been a frequent guest ever since she became a neurosurgeon.

"Brenna!" Maddie yells as she jumps out of the car and sprints towards the old lady standing by the front door, seemingly waiting for us.

"Hi Maddie my sweets, how are you?" She doesn't have to bend down since old age has caused her figure to hunch over but she still leans her head down so that she's in height with Maddie.

Maddie holds a loose arm around Brenna's waist and squeezes her tight. "I'm good."

I walk over to them leisurely with a relaxed smile on my face, "Hi Brenna."

She grabs a hold of my hand and squeezes gently, knowing I'm not one for hugs.

"Brenna Babe! You don't look a day over fifty!" Olivia shouts from the backseat as she pushes Charlotte out of the car.

Brenna's smile widens, "Olivia, always the charmer."

My mother is the last one to get out of the car. She's digging through her handbag, her purposely messy bun obstructing her face. "Hi Bren, sorry we're a little later than usual, apparently I've raised a bunch of narcists that had to fight over the mirrors this morning."

"Mimosa?" Brenna's one worded question gets a sigh of relief from my mother.

"You have no idea how much I love you right now," My mother says with a serious demeanor as we walk into the quaint café.

There's only ten tables spaciously situated around the room with a swing door leading in and out of the kitchen. White table cloths sit on the round tables with small bouquets of wild flowers as center pieces. They're community tables but we're a big group so we usually take up an entire space by ourselves.

Once we're all seated and mom is handed the first of many mimosa's we all start talking about everything.

"Wait, wait, wait, you can't say stuff like that and just move on," Olivia rambles off half an hour into our brunch. "Explain the whole story!" Everyone chimes in agreement as we all turn our attention to the youngest one at the table.

Maddie shrugs, "He said that I had pretty eyes, there's not much to the story."

Courtney's mouth drops open in outrage. "'Not much of a story?' Girl, I wish a boy would tell me I have pretty eyes, all I get is 'nice butt'."